First Ride....

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
OEW591

First Ride....

Post by OEW591 »

Today I managed the first 10 mile ride on my recently restored G15/45.

My brother and I bought the bike from the late Geoff Myers in May 2015. We (well my brother James really) restored the bike over the winter and spring. After a 2 month battle with the DVLA over the registration everything was finally in place this week.

I had an abortive attempt on Thursday when I found the battery had gone flat but a quick recharge and today was all systems go.

I'm happy with the first 10 miles. Nothing fell off and only minor oil leaks. Here's to many happy miles!!

Big thanks to my big brother for his spannering skills.

I have just submitted a photo to the photo section of the club website if anyone wants to take a look.
REW

Re: First Ride....

Post by REW »

Would like to look, can't see it. Can you post a link to it?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Can't see the picture :( :( is it too big to put on here?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

On the 'Submit a picture' page it says very clearly........:

Please read this page before posting pictures on our site.

It advises that photos need to be authorised by an Administrator before they appear.

Strangely, our volunteer Administrators may be on holiday or (Good heavens!) out riding their bikes ;)

Edit. Weds 27th
Hmm, it hasn't appeared yet. You should get an email from the Administrator to confirm.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

Looks like I made an error submitting the photo. I have tried again today so hopefully the picture will appear in a few days.

2nd ride was not so successful! 6 miles in and the spring clip came off the chain and the chain wrapped itself round the gearbox sprocket. The rear chainguard was caught by the whipping chain and the paint was badly damaged. Had to dismantle the entire primary drive and chaincase to remove the old chain.

New chain and replacement chainguard fitted today.

Allowing the various sealant to dry fully. Hopefully should be under way again tomorrow. :headbang:
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Pardon me for stating the obvious but was the closed end of the spring clip facing the direction of travel?
Also you can see on most spring clips that one edge has a slight radius and one is sharp as they are normally punched from flat steel sheet. I always fit the sharp edge to the outside so it tends to bite into the pin and I never re-use a spring clip. Some may say it makes no difference but I have never had a clip come off in fifty years of biking.
Having said that I will probably lose one on the next ride out :D

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It is also easy to overlook the spring clip is not fully home, Always make sure the clip radius is fully in the pin groove. Not easy to see on a dirty or oily chain. I usually to get it fully home by giving the clip a gentle punch. Almost every time the clip does move that little bit extra into the pin slot.
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

Yep. New spring clip and correctly fitted. First time in 35 of motorcycling that this has happened to either me or my brother. Just unlucky I think (hope)!!

Post by 1608 »

I had the same problem (G12) with chain, luckily it just ended up in the middle of the road. As I stood waiting for several cars to pass they all straddled the chain until a bloody great 4x4 ran right over it, perhaps not so luckily! My own fault though as I had ignored a loose and rattly chain guard that eventually clipped the spring link ( which was fitted correctly by the way). I have to agree with Jimfitz re fitting the clip with the sharper edge facing outward, I have always done this and also apply same to gudgeon pin circlips etc.
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

First outing of the year today, about 20 miles.

Well over 300 miles now since the rebuild. All seems to be going well. The motor pulls well and copes easily with 55 mph cruising.

I hope to put 1000 mile on the bike this year and possible do the Stow-on-the-Wold rally with it.