alternator/magnet

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
moley

alternator/magnet

Post by moley »

i have replaced my alternator and magnet on ,my 1960 G12.. and when the lights are on and the engine running its sound like the preferable box of nuts and bolts but when the lights are off and its running it sounds ok

I know its something to do with replacing the alternator cause it was ok before then.

i have heard u can adjust some alternators and check with a feller gauge.. but i just cant see how u can when the altern is in the outer primary???

silverarrow

alternator/magnet

Post by silverarrow »

Janet,

have you got a feller guage to lend him?
Keep smiling
silverarrow

alternator/magnet

Post by silverarrow »

I presume you take the rotor off the engine and check the clearances with the rotor held in position?

It is worth taking the primary drive cover off and checking all is fitted correctly and securly and there are no signs of damage.

Les Smith
Keep smiling
Janet

alternator/magnet

Post by Janet »

>

You beat me to it. I was going to have a look to see if I've got anything sutable for checking the appropriate dimensions.
Janet

alternator/magnet

Post by Janet »

Or even "suitable"
RogerNorman

alternator/magnet

Post by RogerNorman »

The easy solution is to loosen the stator off, wrap three turns of masking tape around the rotor and refit. Provided you haven't over loosened the stator, when you take the cover back off, the stator should be centralised to the rotor and running to the correct clearance. Dont forget to take the masking tape back off the rotot when you have done - it won't work very weel with it left on!
moley

alternator/magnet

Post by moley »

thankyou roger i just couldnt see how i could check a clearance when the alternator is in the primary.

I will try and see if any better

thankyou
gsneyd

alternator/magnet

Post by gsneyd »

A friend of mine has a Triumph where the rotor and stator windings are purchased as a pair and fitted to the inner primary chaincase cover, hence there should never be a problem. He had however fitted an aftermarket inner cover, or fom another source anyway. His problem was found to be that the locating holes for the stator windings did not give central alignment with the stator. Made a right mess.
graham Sneyd
lawrence

alternator/magnet

Post by lawrence »

i had a similar problem on a model 16. It was the three countersunk screws behind the magnet which hold the primary case to the crankcase working loose. Mind you that sounded like a bag of nails all the time, not just when the lights were on!
moley

alternator/magnet

Post by moley »

thanks i took outer primary cover off to find primary chain very tight - i adjusted that and also although crank nut was tight i could move washer behind it, so i took off cleaned and put back tight.... no noises now.... hurray