AMC G12 Gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
gsneyd

AMC G12 Gearbox

Post by gsneyd »

Four years in restoring my G12 I eventually run it only to find that I seem to have the gearbox in reverse. What is happening is that on selection of first gear I actually end up with a very high gear (4th gear?). If I move through the gears and select 4th gear I then have a low gear (1st?).
Can anyone assist in what has gone wrong? My own thoughts are that I have the Cam plate 180 degrees out, but before I dive in I need to have some idea. So please what are your thoughts?
Can I do the necessary changes with the gearbox in situ.
Graahm
Adrian Pancaldi

AMC G12 Gearbox

Post by Adrian Pancaldi »

Graham, I haven't done it my self,so I am a little sketchy, but I believe that would be the problem. This was a mod that was done for machines with rear sets/reversed gear lever (such as the Thruxton models) to keep the one up four down racing style change pattern. And on all accounts the AMC box was easily swapped.
Regards
Adrian
Adrian Pancaldi

AMC G12 Gearbox

Post by Adrian Pancaldi »

Sorry Graham, I didn't answer the last part. I am pretty sure to reverse it ,you only have to remove the outer cover.
Cheers
ranger

AMC G12 Gearbox

Post by ranger »

I rebuilt an AMC box once and got it assembled so that it was 1 down and three up. I think it depends on the position of the selector forks relevant to the cut outs in the selector plate.

I thinkt to change back, you will need to take the outer and inner cover off, shafts out, re-position the selector plate and selector forks. You may wish to live with it until other work required. I soon got used to it.