G12 Kickstart Lever

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bjork

G12 Kickstart Lever

Post by bjork »

Sounds like the spline is worn on either the lever or the quadrant shaft.Or both.I've never bought these items from the club spares scheme,but everything else I had 'did what it said on the box'.You could also try Richard Gaunt there is a link to him from this sites' link page.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Biscuit
Deceased

G12 Kickstart Lever

Post by Biscuit »

Hi John,

I had this problem 20 years ago on an 18S, I fitted a 3/16" square key and it worked fine, obviously you need the equipment to do it, have you a friend with the right equipment?.

Keith, you just don't have the knack, I'm twice your age and 13 stone and I have no problem starting my G11, even balancing the missus on the back at the same time. At your age I was able to start a Rapide without using the valve lifter.

Robert Rush.

G12 Kickstart Lever

Post by Robert Rush. »

I've just fitted a new lever bought from the club after the same problem, original lever loose on the splines. The folding kickstart from the club is good but not a good fit on my splines, so I had to cut a further slot in the body of the casting around the spline area so that the bolt had a chance of closing the gap. There is just too much metal for the clamping action to work. Don't try the "cheap" folding ones from other sources, or if you do, check the quality very carefully, they are usually rubbish and break on the first kick (mine did).