Brakes

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Charles.
Deceased

Brakes

Post by Charles. »

I have two Matchless street bikes, both 1963, a G80CS and G12CSR. What keeps me from riding these bikes much is the front brakes. If you have to stop quickly, you can't. My standard of comparison are my Velocettes with tls brakes. They are pretty good even in modern traffic. Can anything be done with the Matchless brake? Or is it necessary to substitute a different brake? I once had a Matchless front front that was pretty good but it was very 'grabby' when cold, especially on a moist morning. I applied it once at about 85 mph and it pulled the top stay attachment point right out of the fork leg. Solutions? dbreet@netscape.net
Biscuit
Deceased

Brakes

Post by Biscuit »

I shrewdly suspect that the TLS brake was designed to be better. With respect to the 'grabby' AMC brake, was there a chamfer on the leading edge of the linings? had the backplate been centralised? I am unable to visualise the studs being pulled out of the attachment point on the fork leg, unless the studs were to short or not screwed in to their full depth. The only modification you need to make with the AMC brakes, front or rear, is do what most of us do - ride within the machine's limitations.

clive

Brakes

Post by clive »

I tend to agree with Alan's comment about riding within the capacity of the machine. However there are two possible other pieces of advice.
1 check that the hub is not out of true (tends to make it grab) check that the shoes are centred,
check that the cable is properly oiled and runs without kinks when forks are compressed.
2 loose about 5 stone in weight and carry no passengers. Breaking will be much more efficient provided you have not vanished or lost muscle control to pull on break lever.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix

Brakes

Post by 9776 »

I dont believe that any AJS Matchless bike brakes were what we would now call good. Norton AMC brakes were at least 8inch and wider linings but even the twin leading shoe was not up to disc class. Whatever you do, do not practice the Clive Turner method of stopping by hitting a parked car! Hope it is getting better Clive.