Torque settings for BSC threads

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
gsneyd

Post by gsneyd »

Has anyone got a reference sheet for the torque settings to be used for British Standard Cycle threads, say 1/4 to 1/2in, or possibly greater using EN3/4 mild steel, or indeed any other commonly used material.
I am about to re assemble my G12 and it would come in useful
Graham
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I'm pretty sure you will not find a reference sheet for general torque settings. The manufacturer would have specified the grade of material for the bolt or stud, together with the material into which the stud was inserted, and from this the torque settings would have been calculated. Bearing in mind the vast range of steel grades, it would seem that any such reference sheet would be a mighty tome indeed!.

Jackson

Post by Jackson »

I have also been trying to find torques!
gsneyd

Post by gsneyd »

Alan and Graham. Many thanks for your responses. What I was really after was what torque settings do I use in re assembling my 1963 G12. As Graham (2) has the same problem the infornmation seems to be thin on the ground. Perhaps a general letter to the Jampot my provide the necessary infomation.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

I wrote to Jampot in May.
Torques (lb/ft) I use on my 1955 G80S 500 are:-
Fork caps 1/4W 7:front Axle 3/8W 21: Front brake torque arm to cover 5/16W 18: Mudguard to front fork 1/4W 9: Rear brake stay to swing arm 3/16W 8: R/C r/c 3/16W 10: top fork nuts 5/8W 26: rear axle 1/2W 40.
All for lightly oiled parts - they work for me! Any thoughts?
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Graham Jackson's reply on torque values needs a little further explanation. For example, fork cap studs are 5/16"CEI,Mudguard to fork also 5/16"CEI, both being BSF into the slider.Top fork nut is 15/16"X20. He has suffixed all the thread dimensions with'W', generally accepted to refer to British Standard Whitworth, whereas all the threads referred to, fork top nut excluded are CEI threads. The only Whit. threads I am aware of on a fifties single are the bolts securing the magneto to the platform and the Kickstarter cover screws, and possibly the dynomo field coil. At least Lucas and Burman new the correct threads for aluminium, a fact not shared by AMC. If Graham thinks his fork cap studs are 1/4", and has tightened them accordingly, I hope I never ride behind him.

Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Thanks to Alan, at least someone can educate us on the thread types used.
To avoid confusion I quoted Whitworth socket sizes in my original message, which I believe are 1/16 less than stud diameter?
gsneyd

Post by gsneyd »

Oh dear, what a can of worms - but still no nearer the answer for BSC 26 tpi screw torque settings.
I suggest that I simplify the question.
Torque settings for 26 tpi screws sizes 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2 inch using EN3B. This would be the lowest setting. If using EN8 then a slightly higher setting could be used.

A second question, what should the 5/16 cylinder head bolts be torqued down to?

If you can please advise alternate direction / source of information

Graham Sneyd
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Graham S. have a look under 'Technical-Twins dismantling' on the website, some torque figures are given, including the head studs. 5/16" and 3/8". But what if they are HT specials?. Graham J. - checked my fork cap nuts ('56 G11) and they are torqued to 20 FT/llBs. Question, carburettor studs/nuts, same thread, same diameter would you torque these to the same value?

gsneyd

Post by gsneyd »

Alan. I have printed off the information you identified.
On a separate note. I hope that the Technical Tips book promised in a recent Jampot will provide a lot of information re these ad hock questions.

Many thanks for your help.

Graham