AJS 650 Oil system

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
SixtyKnots

AJS 650 Oil system

Post by SixtyKnots »

I have just taken on the task of looking after my late fathers AJS 650 Model 31 Deluxe (1959). It has been dormant for 9 years or so in my mothers garage and looked after by my brother.

It is in working condition and I have riden it once. I remember my father saying that provided there is a constant feed back to the oil tank then the oil circulation is good. This was the case last week. I started it this week and I have an intermittant flow back to the oil tank and oil now seems to be forcing its way out (I think) of the oil seal surrounding the drive sprocket.

By the suddeness of the problem have I a blocked return feed to the oil tank? or is there something more sinister afoot?
hamishcw

AJS 650 Oil system

Post by hamishcw »

Possibly a number of reasons.
But xs oil in the sump will always pass out through the drive side bearing (no oil seal) into the primary chain case and then to the floor.
Commonest cause of xs oil in the sump, I believe, is leaking through the worn gears of the oil pump and there have been many articles in the Jampot about this subject.
Andrew Dove sells an anti sumping tap. But it is better first, to re-face the oil pump to get a closer fit.
Yrs Hamish
33d6

AJS 650 Oil system

Post by 33d6 »

Hello Bob,
An intermittent oil return is normal for any motorcycle fitted with a 'dry sump' (as yours is)lubrication system. The oil pump on a 'dry sump' system is really two pumps in one housing. One side pumps the oil into the engine, the other pumps it back out to the oil tank. To prevent a build up of oil in the engine the return side pump is much larger than the inlet so it often pumps air because it is sucking oil out faster than the inlet side pushes it in. Normal practice is for the oil return to be constant for a few moments when the engine is started and then it becomes intermittent. What you describe sounds utterly normal to me.
Hope this helps, BOB