Frame Numbers

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
dodger

Frame Numbers

Post by dodger »

I am a new member (7/11/00) and nearing retirement wanted a Matchless to restore in my spare time. Yesterday I bought a 1961 G12 CSR. It has been stored since 1972 and came with its R.F. 60. The Engine Number tallies with the log book but I cannot find the Frame Number anywhere. Can some experienced member please tell me where to look for it?
Thanking you in anticipation.
Laurie long
silverarrow

Frame Numbers

Post by silverarrow »

If it is the same as my 54 18S then you find the frame no by first removing the seat and you will then find it on the frame tube near to the tank.

It took me over an hour to find it the first time when i needed to prove it on mine.

Les Smith
Keep smiling
Eamonn
Webmaster

Frame Numbers

Post by Eamonn »

My 1962 G12CSR has the number on the twistgrip side of the headstock
Corners like a Lego man
RogerNorman

Frame Numbers

Post by RogerNorman »

Twin downtube frames always have their frame number as stated by Eamonn on the headstock on the offside. Be careful to pick up a stamped in number, not a raised number and not one starting with 0 - there are a number of machines with either of these options on their log books. Both are wrong.
27col

Frame Numbers

Post by 27col »

The front tank studs on my model 31 are so short that I cannot fit any rubber washers under them. Can anyone tell me the correct way to remove them without doing any damage to the tank. So that I can fit longer ones.