1966 zig zag pin line on tank

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
ajscomboman

Re: 1966 zig zag pin line on tank

Post by ajscomboman »

I don't believe that you can trust factory sales catalogues either Rob. I don't for one minute think that the factory would produce 2 types of tank design for the same year bike model. It would make no sense to produce a tank for a G15 and put smooth lines on it and then produce the same tank for a G12 and put zig zag lines on it. I'd be more inclined to think that all 65 tanks and onwards had smooth lines and those that had zigzag were probably the remainder of the 64 season. Bearing in mind that by 63 they were using up all bits and pieces when 65-66 came around they were on their knees financially so making multiple types of anything would be a no go due to costs.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The sales cat. showed zig zag lines & chrome on the G12 / mod 31 CSR models only Rob. The G12 & G12 CSR was discontinued in July 1966. As these models did not run for the full year model year. They were probably just using up old stock as it was dead money. Something you don't want when times are bad.
oldandmatchless

Post by oldandmatchless »

Here are a couple of pictures, if helpful.

Zig Zag Tank 1.jpg
Zig Zag Tank 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

Just to stir up more discussion my 67 G15Mk2 has a candy apple red tank with zigzags. it has not been repainted.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:Just to stir up more discussion my 67 G15Mk2 has a candy apple red tank with zigzags. it has not been repainted.
Is this the road test for G15mk 2 Clive http://archives.jampot.dk/editorial/Roa ... World).pdf
That link seems to come up as error. Hope I've fixed the error now, try this link.
http://archives.jampot.dk/editorial/Roa ... d_Test.pdf
clive

Post by clive »

I think mine is later than that Rob and it has the later plastic badge rather than the mouth organ one.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:I think mine is later than that Rob and it has the later plastic badge rather than the mouth organ one.
I never paid attention to that Clive. Sales cats online cannot be enlarged enough to see tank tops. However I am sure I can just about see a post mouth organ badge model with zig zag lines.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

here you have a part of the picture in the Matchless G 15 MKII sales catalogue
Regards Poul
G15 MKII.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajsph wrote:here you have a part of the picture in the Matchless G 15 MKII sales catalogue
Regards Poul
G15 MKII.jpg
That's what I thought I could see Paul. But the copy I viewed was not good.