More oil questions

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
clive

Re: More oil questions

Post by clive »

Well the return on my G11CS is intermittent, by which I mean at tickover it will pulse out for a while then stop then pulse out again. The return side has a greater capacity than the supply. HOWEVER the time between it pulsing stopping and restarting is in seconds not minutes. If you mean that on your return you ran the engine on tickover for 1 1/2 to 2 mins without a return then there must be something wrong in my opinion. I would not run the engine again without pulling the oil pump off and investigating for a blockage. I failed to do this on my G11 when I first got it and when I did I found a piece of piston ring between the pump and outlet and even so the return had been consistent on tickover. I had run it for a while like this and as a result, or perhaps by coincidence, I had to have the crank reground due to excessive wear.
It is not a lot of work to pull the pump off disassemble it and check it, using new gaskets when you reassemble.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

Another thought, when you return home and parked up the bike for the minute and a half to 2 minutes was it either on a sloping drive or on the side stand? My thinking is that when you return from the ride the crankcase will be have the normal amount of oil in it to prime the return pump. Put it on the side stand, especially if it is worn or bent as many are, and the bike will sit at an angle that prevents oil getting to the return pump. At tickover this may take a time to fill to a level that reaches the return drilling. The same may happen if where you park is on a steep slope. Finally was the oil tank hot after your ride? If the oil is circulating properly on a twin it gets hot pretty quickly out on the road.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hi Tony, excellent idea to check the oïl pressure.
teebee67

Post by teebee67 »

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the slow response but I have been away for a few days. Some good points raised. The bike was on the centre stand on level ground when I checked the circulation. 1.5 to 2 mins might have been a bit of an exaggeration (it always seems longer when you are waiting for it to return). I am struggling to find a supplier of the oil filter cap (part number 016179), I have tried the club and AMC Classic Spares. Does anyone know of other possible suppliers please? Or does anyone have one they would sell?
I'm only old on the outside.