On to one cylinder

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
willowbedone

On to one cylinder

Post by willowbedone »

Help and advice please
Whilst riding my g 12 it went onto 1 cylinder whilst leaning over round a bend When upright back onto both cylinders Very quickly Float level problem I thought ?
But all ok for another 100 or so miles Then today going up a steep hill went onto one cylinder again whilst upright At the top of the hill back onto both cylinders and no problems on the 20 mile ride home Could this be fuel or magneto starting to fail
Thanks Ian

Re: On to one cylinder

Post by 1608 »

Sounds like possibly mag but more likely HT leads/connections. Fuel problems wouldn't affect just one cylinder.
les ward

Post by les ward »

I would also check the carbon brushes in the pick ups and while they are out use a rag to clean the slip ring.
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

Thanks for replies I will check pick ups and leads Could it be a dodgy plug ?
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

It sounds similar to how mine was behaving last year, which after a few hundred miles over a month resulted in an unresponsive mag when hot, luckily it broke down right outside a pub (remember them?) and it was open! What's it like for hot starting?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

willowbedone wrote:Thanks for replies I will check pick ups and leads Could it be a dodgy plug ?
Could be, change them first as they are inexpensive, could also be HT leads or plug caps, start by changing the plugs cleaning the mag pickups and slip ring (there were some soft carbon pickups doing the rounds) and remaking the HT lead to plug cap connection (cut the HT cable back by half an inch or so and screw the cap back on).
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Duncan wrote:start by changing the plugs.
Hi

I would adopt a slightly different approach in view of the fact that this fault seems to be dependent on the attitude of the bike.

Start the bike on the center stand and warm up the engine, when warm gently move the HT leads at the plug and pick up ends to see if you can replicate the cylinder cutting out - if you can induce a cylinder to cut out you have identified where the problem lies and you can fix it accordingly.
willowbedone wrote:Could it be a dodgy plug ?
That would be the last place I'd look in view of it being attitude related - I'd start with the HT leads or mag pick ups.

Regards Mick
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

Thanks for replies I intend to check tomorrow so will update my findings and come back to ask if needed