Amount of oil in twin crankcase : 1018 cc !

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
JEAN-NOEL

Amount of oil in twin crankcase : 1018 cc !

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Last week I have checked the oïl level in the primary chaincase, and it was higher than it was when I left the bike in the garage for winter. I was amazed, cause ATF was mixed with clear oïl. Gearbox oïl ? No, the bike remained on its centre stand, and the oïl level in the G.B. was O.K...Wet sumping ? But I have an anti sumping tap ! In fact during winter I have spinned several times the engine, with the sparking plugs off, to lubricate all the parts. After 10 strokes or so of the kickstarter the oïl pressure reached 40 PSI, and drops of oïl appeared in the rockers boxes. Finally I understood : at cranking speed, the return pump wasn't working. First I drained the oïl in the primary chaincase, and waited a night to let seep the oïl of the crankase. Then I have drained the sump : exactly 1018 cc.
Conclusion : in case of wait sumping, if the oïl reaches the primary, you have one litre or more in the crankcase. When I started the engine, the return flow was O.K. Oil discharge valve opens @ 80-85 PSI.