Newbie in lockdown

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
56G80S

Re: Newbie in lockdown

Post by 56G80S »

I clearly don't ride hard enough as I rarely have much use for the rear brake unles things are starting to approach me in an aggressive fashion.

As far a possible, allow plenty of distance and start braking early.

+1 for Roadriders.

Johnny B
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Wet sumping is more of an issue on singles and as Malc has said, if the bike is started regularly it won't be an issue. I started my single yesterday after a five month lay up and no wet sumping evident.
King Derelict wrote:apart from not changing gear with the brake lever
'Braking' with the gear lever can be noisy and leave you wondering where all the acceleration has gone ;) ;)

In my opinion centre stands are all down to technique which differ slightly between marques and models - my T160V being particularly 'heavy'. I understand that 'original' bikes without the geriatric stand are now rising in value along with oily rags ;) :rofl: If you're fit and healthy give the original stand a chance.

Brakes are poor by modern standards so check they are optimised by having the arms at 90 degrees to the cable/rod when applied. Confirm you have the correct brake levers with 7/8" spacing between the nipple and pivot point, levers with a larger dimension are less efficient.

Don't 'labour' the engine, change down - Take the bike up to around 60mph in top and listen to the revs, aim to change up at about these revs.

Get a back pack and start doing your essential shopping on the bike.

Regards Mick
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Hi
Wet sumping is usually only an issue with the later ‘64 on singles that use the Norton gear pump and is not generally a problem with the reciprocating plunger pump. The twins however do suffer extensively from wet sumping as they too use a gear pump.
There are oil taps available that use a microswitch to make the ignition supposedly “failsafe” or you can use a gas type valve with a long handle that can be fitted so that, if forgotten, the kick start will open the valve. They are ugly but do work - I have them fitted to most of my AMC twins.
The automatic type have been found not to open and thus also cause catastrophic damage
Unless you are going to ride the bike it is not advisable to start it “every so often” as this can cause acidic condensation within the engine as it does not reach operating temperature by simply ticking over.
The original centre stand does need both technique and brute strength, the ‘63 on stand is much better and Rob's are very easy to operate.
Regards
James
King Derelict

Post by King Derelict »

Mick D wrote:
Don't 'labour' the engine, change down - Take the bike up to around 60mph in top and listen to the revs, aim to change up at about these revs.
Thanks, Mick - speed limit over here is 40 though, so that would be an interesting conversation - "Didn't want to labour the engine, officer..." :D

Also, with the size of the island, doing 60 with drum brakes, I'm liable to get wet...

I have a drum front brake on my Bullet and sidecar, so I am used to planning my braking a day or two in advance, but obviously that just pootles about - will need to remember not to get too adventurous while I am getting used to this one...

Thanks again

KD