Footrest rod spacers 1960 G12

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
electrajohnt

Footrest rod spacers 1960 G12

Post by electrajohnt »

Hello.

Regarding the spacers either side of the engine plate on the square footrest rod. I think I have them the correct way around but could someone confirm which side the longer and shorter fit please.

What has prompted this is, while fitting the rocker covers the cap screws I noticed the engine was slightly out of centre to the top frame tube, only by about 1/8 to 3/16 in. When I reviewed what I had assembled to that point the only "odd" (unequal) sized items that could position the engine in the frame out of centre have been:

1) The small spacer, about 1/8ins thick, on the near side of the U-shaped engine plate at the front of the engine. I thought this a strange fitting at the time but subsequent search on this forum has shown it toi be correct.

2) The unequal in length spacers on the square footrest rod, either side of the engine plates.

Edit to the original post:

The offset when measuring the rearmost rocker cover cap screw is approx 5mm clearance on the offside when measured to the outside dia of the top tube.

The two spacers on the square rod are approximately 25mm on the nearside and 20mm on the offside.

I am beginning to think the engine is not square in the frame by some previous mistake in spacers. To further feed this thought, the rear of the primary chain case is very close to the swinging arm. Could someone measure what their clearance at that point is please, also the two spacer lengths in question.

Thanks'

Your guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
JohnT
JohnT
dave16mct

Re: Footrest rod spacers 1960 G12

Post by dave16mct »

The r/h spacer is 1" and the l/h spacer is 13/16". I haven't measured the clearance between swinging arm and chaincase yet but it is close. If you need measurements like those above, look at older parts lists which have more detail, take note of the part number and cross refer to the 1960 list. I got those sizes from the 1953 list.
Dave.
electrajohnt

Post by electrajohnt »

Hello Dave.
Thanks' for the advice, I had the spacers the wrong way around, they are now in the correct position.

This has not changed the centralisation of the rocker covers to the top frame tube, I guess they should be off centre as built.

Regards

JohnT
JohnT
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

have a look at the head steady, thats not symmetrical, might be a clue