Which way is best

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
electrajohnt

Which way is best

Post by electrajohnt »

Hello.
Taking into account I have a bad back. I have installed the engine, without barrels and heads into the frame, I am now trying to put into the frame the gearbox and rear engine plates. This is beginning to feel like it's the wrong way to do it. Any advice appreciated please.
JohnT
JohnT
clive

Re: Which way is best

Post by clive »

Done it with a single not sure if further complications with a twin. Main thing to remember is that without the engine plates in place the weight of the engine will cause the frame to sag. This means that the through bolt holes will be out of line. On my single out by virtually the whole bolt size. Easy solution put a scissor jack under the engine and raise it till holes line up.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Another option I've seen done is to build the engine clutch and gearbox complete (without gear/kickstart levers), then lay the engine/clutch/gearbox unit on its side. Lower the frame sideways over the engine unit, bolt up into the correct place and finally lift the frame (including the engine) upright.
Best done when the frame has no other attachments of forks, seat, etc.
Corners like a Lego man
raffles

Post by raffles »

Simplest way is to start again fit gearbox and engine plates then the center stand then the center stand spring
then fit the engine leaving all fitting bolts and studs with the nuts only about 4or 5 threads on until every thing
is fitted.If its pre 1960 install the front bottom frame stud last, that way every thing else will pull the fame together
Tony
electrajohnt

Post by electrajohnt »

raffles wrote:Simplest way is to start again fit gearbox and engine plates then the center stand then the center stand spring
then fit the engine leaving all fitting bolts and studs with the nuts only about 4or 5 threads on until every thing
is fitted.If its pre 1960 install the front bottom frame stud last, that way every thing else will pull the fame together
Tony
Hello Tony.

Yes, thanks' that is what I have done.

JohnT
JohnT