A peculiar problem

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
mjf65

Re: A peculiar problem

Post by mjf65 »

bitza wrote:Mag fault when hot??? Condenser breaking down but fires up when cold ???.
Sounds like mine. I'm new to British bikes and my AJS had stood for years. It started third kick from its deep slumber with a tank clean and fresh oil but after putting about 500 miles on it the bugger won't start easily from cold and no chance when hot hence my post and how do I remove the mag.
Good luck.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Taid

Post by Taid »

Have you got this sorted ..

If not, this may or may not be related //

Some years back I had a Discovery 4 litre V8 . It had exactly the same problem .. beyond me to fix so took it into the garage, who sorted quite quickly .. It seemed that when the engine was hot, something prevented the timing going back to normal starting retard point (or something like that) ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

Well thanks for all the advice folks, I changed the plugs for N5s and at first thought that was it sorted then it started doing the same again, the magneto has hardly been used since a complete rebuild so hope there is no problem there. The plugs being dry prompted me to flood the carb excessively which definitely seems to help but I now have various things to try, to be honest I have not had much opportunity to ride the blke recently. It's good to have an enthusiastic forum to turn to when help is needed.