Chaincase filling with oil

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
MalcW

Re: Chaincase filling with oil

Post by MalcW »

Rob Harknett wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:Rob, Malc's wording implies he's going to drain the sump, lower the level in the chaincase by either draining or sucking the excess out with a syringe possibly and then going for a ride once that's been done.
Yep, that's how I understood it:

Replace filter
Drain chaincase.
Reduce chaincase oil level.
Go for a ride.

...........quite a long one apparently. ;)
Thanks Rob. I combined actions 2 & 3 ( I noticed Neville has as well, he he ) I got lazy years ago when I got water in a chain case, made the oil go frothy. I sucked it out with a bike pump. Wonder if we will get to know what happened on the ride???
Hi all, thanks for the input so far. The owner of this bike works away during the week, so hopefully we'll be able to try this over the weekend. Rob, I will update everyone on the outcome, whatever that may be. Although all of this depends on whether he also fixes the fuel pipe leak as well (easy fix, a loose crimp on the RH fuel tap).

The bike is in that 'just got it, needs lots of fettling' stage. I've just about got there with mine, after 1 1/2 years...

Malc
Rob Harknett

Re: Chaincase filling with oil

Post by Rob Harknett »

If he has a clear plastic fuel pipe, tell him to replace the pipe. They go hard. It will be a waste of time trying to re crimp it or fit a jubilee clip. Also, although I have multi size tools, I can never seem find a ferrule the correct size that will crimp tight. Or perhaps it could be, pipe O/A dia is smaller. I usually have to resort to untidy jubilee clips.