Now tyre problems

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Mollbhan

Now tyre problems

Post by Mollbhan »

Recently fitted new tyres to my G12,bought on flea bay, not expensive tyres since I do not intend to try for the ton I didn't think I needed them, back tyre was fine but I cannot get the bead on the front tyre to seat evenly all the way round, have tried everything and there will always be a point on each side where the bead simply dives out of sight behind the wheel rim. No amount of lubricant, bouncing or rolling around helps. Have reached the conclusion the tyre is faulty, has anyone else had problems like this?
SPRIDDLER

Re: Now tyre problems

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mollbhan wrote:Recently fitted new tyres to my G12,bought on flea bay, not expensive tyres since I do not intend to try for the ton I didn't think I needed them, .....
Hmm. I appreciate that was just a figure of speech but rather than good at high speed my concern is when doing 15 or 20 on a roundabout, in the rain or cornering on leaves or drain covers........... ;)

It would be unusual to have a faulty tyre but possible obviously. It would help to name the brand. I'm not aware of 'cheap' or poor quality tyres as manufacture requires considerable capital investment, know-how, volume and quality control, being a safety product. There are lesser-known brands, for example Mitas and Heidenau which are from huge tyre-making firms and used worldwide on planes, quarry trucks, taxis and juggernauts. They are lower priced than say Dunlop or Avon but have been fitted by many on their bikes who are entirely happy with them.
I had the tyres changed on my new Honda as they were of Indian origin; not faulty, but made from rock hard rubber (presumably fine in Indian temps).
I don't suppose you noticed if the old tyre fitted the rim o.k. ?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
petert120r

Post by petert120r »

I've known this to happen occasionally. Try inflating it to 65psi and leaving it for a few hours - should pop out by itself.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

petert120r wrote:I've known this to happen occasionally. Try inflating it to 65psi and leaving it for a few hours - should pop out by itself.
And also plenty of the proper tyre lube, not Fairy liquid, Swarfega etc. Then leave it in the sun to soften the rubber.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Take the valve out, plenty of tyre soap and as much psi as possible and it will pop. Then you can put the valve back in and set the correct psi.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I've even had this problem with an Avon, but as said before, the correct lube, warmth and plenty of pressure eventually sorted it out (at friendly repair shop).

Johnny B
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

you may have to blow it up a few times but will need a big compressor and lots of air and high pressure .

when i do my ajs tyres i will need to have at least 100psi on hand and plenty of trye soap .

i use mitas and dunlop and avon tyres and all will give me grief getting them to seat the bead but they will go if you use enough soap, pressure , and a big enough compressor tank .
bob121

Post by bob121 »

And remember to take the valve out. It restricts the air flow.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

bob121 wrote:And remember to take the valve out. It restricts the air flow.
Is that really necessary on a tubed tyre?

Regards Mick
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

Thanks for the response everybody, when I said not expensive tyre these are tyres that are only rated for 93mph since I doubt I will ever be going any faster than that, I sincerely hope that at lower speeds they are at least as good as any other tyre.
I took the wheel to my local garage who pretty quickly resolved the problem with a combination of the correct tyre soap and plenty of pressure, 60psi, maybe some jobs are best left to the professionals.