What's it cost?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bob121

What's it cost?

Post by bob121 »

Does anyone have any idea what it would cost to have a one off crank made.
SPRIDDLER

Re: What's it cost?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I could ask a pal who takes on machining one off crankshafts from the billet for competition BSAs but the first thing he'll ask is whether you have drawings for it.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bob121

Post by bob121 »

It's just a curiosity at the moment. Something bouncing around my head. Probably because it's so empty.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'll take it then that you don't have drawings or specifications, so I doubt very much that my retired pal (or any other contact you may find) will even think about it. He'll tell me he doesn't do estimates to satisfy peoples 'curiosity' ;) (like many highly skilled ageing 'old school' engineers he's a cantankerous old b*gger) but obviously you are hoping someone has first hand experience of getting just one made........ :?
One of the difficulties the club is experiencing is getting all types of spares made without having drawings, plus the quantities aren't economic in our relatively small batches.

The club had a batch of twin crankshafts made and I think they're ending up at around a grand (or has my memory failed completely?). No doubt someone who actually knows what they cost will correct me.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

In the past, a well known racing spares manufacturer has quoted the club in the region of £1500++ to produce one off crankshafts for twins, machined from billet.
This of course is subject to usual tax/delivery add ons.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

About what I thought. Cheers.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

You could send poptsova a pm and ask. He made two cranks for the twins from billet and they are both going strong. I have no idea how much it would cost, though.
teebee67

Post by teebee67 »

SPRIDDLER wrote:I could ask a pal who takes on machining one off crankshafts from the billet for competition BSAs but the first thing he'll ask is whether you have drawings for it.
Hi Spriddler,
As well as my AJS road bike I am currently preparing a BSA (A65) engined race bike and been looking for someone who does billet cranks for it. I wonder if you would be good enough to supply me with details of your friend (a PM would be fine)?
I'm only old on the outside.