Has anyone had any information regarding the dynamo cranks?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
ajscomboman

Re: Has anyone had any information regarding the dynamo cran

Post by ajscomboman »

Knut, he's been involved from day one, he's the guy that specified the material and drew all the specs up.

I can honestly say that he has been totally frustrated at the progress especially with the original contracted company. The new company has uncovered several issues that no-one was aware of as the work had been only partially carried out by RTW. This was found to be incorrect and has had to be redone hence the delays, coupled with the eyesight issues it just delays the project further. They will get done and behind the scenes I'm pushing all the time, however I can't just drop in and that in itself is frustrating.

I'll be sending another mail at the end of the week just to get an update on the progress.
dave650ss

Post by dave650ss »

Any more news on the dynamo cranks?
it has been more than a month since the last post.
Still waiting with bated breath!! :shock:
Cheers.
Dave B.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Dave I've been badgering them for the last few weeks trying to get info, eventually threatening legal action. Well that did the trick and to my surprise and shock nothing has been done for a month or more. Anyhow the upshot is the final program is to be run and the date I have in writing from them is end of April for completion. Having now got a direct e-mail address and contact straight to the boss of the company it's my intention the mail him weekly checking on progress. It's become very tedious and I believe a lot of the lack of progress has been down to concern over the the first contractors attempt to finish them. They have uncovered several points when measuring and because they lack knowledge of our machines and a lack of specifications they just put them on the shelf until our contact was well enough to drop in and explain things.

I have to say that since I've had the mail contact and been pestering they have become much more proactive and communicative, shame it's taken me so long to get the direct link.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Hi Rob,

I am happy to read that a direct link to the manufacturer has been established. I am always skeptical to involving a middle man, for various reasons. Hopefully we will see this project completed soon. Please keep up the pressure on the manufacturer.

Out of interest and curiosity, wasn't approved computer models and plans made for this project? I am surprised that any explaining should be necessary if specific plans had been handed over and instructions agreed upon? Just wondering. I have been involved in manufacturing programs, and a professional machining shop would either require or work out himself complete instructions.

You mention "lack of specification" which I find rather disconcerting. The fabricator shouldn't be required to know anything about the bikes. In a manufacturing project like this, everything should be covered on beforehand, including dimensions w/tolerances, which carbide tips and mill tool to use, the fixations, tooling, intermediate heat treatment (if any), and of course the various operational steps.

Kind regards,

Knut S.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Now I have the direct link to the engineering shop I've had more info back than I've ever had and the news is good. Progress is being made and new taps have been ordered as some are beginning to show signs of wear. I have had a guide date of the end April if all continues to go well. Yesterday out of the blue I also received news that 9 more cranks arrived at the door of Markus after he had gone through all paperwork and sent a snotty e-mail to the original engineering company asking about the shortages.

2 out of the 9 have had no heat treatment and so will not be used the others have had the heavy machining done so require finalising.

Every week I now send a mail asking for current progress and will continue to do so until I can finally draw a line under this project.
dave650ss

Post by dave650ss »

How is Brexit & the current Covid 19 situation impacting on completion & delivery of the dynamo cranks?
Do you know how many are ordered from Australia? {apart from mine!}
Best Regards & keep up the good work!,
Dave B.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

They are being worked on and the final finish date is thd end of this month. However it's looking likely that they may be confined to Austria for a while. I just can't believe this. We just don't seem to be getting any luck with these cranks. I'll post a further update when I've spoken to the guys this week.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Hi Rob,

I am pleased to hear that a hand-over date is imminent.
However, it's understandable that you are reluctant to go there by car to pick them up, if possible at all, even though this would be a business trip.

When cranks have passed final QA inspection (Marcus is still in the loop I hope), maybe the club may consider my proposal to have the crankshafts shipped directly from Austria?
I don't think it's a good idea to have the cranks stored at the machining shop for months. Who knows what may happen in the meantime.

I would be prepared to pay up for an additional packing/crating fee. Shipping fees to continental and o/sea customers may not change much.
Shipping fees to UK customers will be higher than domestic rates of course.

Regards,
Knut Sonsteby
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Look at this moment in time this project is the furthest thing from my mind. Keeping my wife who is auto immune is by far the biggest thing in my life at the moment.

I have no idea of the situation in Austria. I'm not sure if they are still able to continue working. I have sent another mail but had no reply which is unusual.

All I can say is that when they are done and we are able to have them shipped they will all be coming to the UK and then shipped from Kettering. I very much doubt that given the current global crisis that this will be as soon as we'd hoped. As it is every other day we are receiving shipping restrictions as I'm sure the Austrians are as well.

If this situation doesn't suit then I'm happy to send you a refund with immediate effect.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

We all have personal responsibilities, Rob. However, don't let the virus pandemic get to our heads. We should try to operate and work as before, if we can.
For the record, there are currently no shipping restrictions out of Austria. There is a potential problem in the UK (receiving freight port has to be open - to be verified before shipping).
Obviously the Austrian manufacturing company needs to be operational for shipping to take place.

-Knut