Gearbox Number

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
boxie

Gearbox Number

Post by boxie »

Hi all,

Hope you can help.

I have been given parts for a 1961 G12 CSR. Frame, part of the engine, forks and gearbox.

The part nubers on the frame and engine match the log book / year but the gearbox number is a little odd?

It only has M28411 stamped on it and i cannot find any information regarding this numbering!

Michael.
Mick D

Re: Gearbox Number

Post by Mick D »

Hi

That's the correct format for an AMC gearbox fitted to a Matchless or AJS - "M" signifies this.
Type 'AMC gearbox number' into the search function, (magnifying glass top right), and you'll find lots of info.
Alternately you can get a dating certificate which will detail the bike as it left the factory but beware these expire after one year, (relevant if you need this data to register the bike).

Regards Mick
boxie

Post by boxie »

Mick,

Thanks for that.

Not knowing anything about AJS or Matchless, i seemed to have been transfixed with it being a Burman gearbox in all my searches!!

Michael.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you're going for a restoration there's all the info you need on this site and in the 'archive':

http://archives.jampot.dk/

However you might wish to consider getting hold of a copy of this:
Bacon.png
Sometimes I find it easier to use a book rather than a web site / computer, to get me in the ball park.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

And as form January the club will have stock at a good price.
Roy
boxie

Post by boxie »

I have looked at the archive as well as the forum, but there seems to be so much information that it gets very confusing. It took me 10 hours of searching just to find the correct studs for the carburettor inlet manifold (i am used to old Jap bikes, for my sins).

I will wait until January to buy Mr Bacons' book.

Thanks for your helps.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

boxie wrote:I have looked at the archive as well as the forum, but there seems to be so much information that it gets very confusing. It took me 10 hours of searching just to find the correct studs for the carburettor inlet manifold (i am used to old Jap bikes, for my sins).

Thanks for your helps.
Guess you ended up using the 1960 parts list for your 1961 model ( see below ) then checked the 1961 supplement to see if they were changed.
The same route will need to be taken for other parts. Use the 1960 parts list in conjunction with the supplement. Hope this saves you time in the future.
Ashampoo_Snap_17 December 2018_20h12m22s_006_.jpg
Ashampoo_Snap_17 December 2018_20h18m45s_007_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

boxie wrote:I have looked at the archive as well as the forum, but there seems to be so much information that it gets very confusing. It took me 10 hours of searching just to find the correct studs for the carburettor inlet manifold (i am used to old Jap bikes, for my sins).

Thanks for your helps.
The book will help but a trip to the local section would be the best option..
Roy