Headlight bulbs?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
PeterJCorby

Headlight bulbs?

Post by PeterJCorby »

Hello folks,

What bulbs fit the Lucas headlight on my G12 and where could I find them? I would really like to get the bike registered now, but damned if I can find a bulb that fits. Has anyone modified the headlamp to it out types of bulb, say a H4?
robcurrie

Re: Headlight bulbs?

Post by robcurrie »

Hi Peter, I had a problem with filaments breaking from vibration when using the original globes, the H4 filaments are more robust. I modified an H4 globe by cutting the flange down and making a notch in it in the correct index position. The filaments should end up in the same position as the original globe for the correct beam spread. I used piano wire to make a clip to hold the globe in.

Rob C
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The original fit Lucas filaments are usually listed in the relevant owner's manual, either under Data or Lighting - after that it's a quick search of t'internet to find a supplier of an original or equivalent.
H Lamps.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

H4 headlamp reflector and glass assemblies are available from Paul Goff. If you are running 12v he is doing a deal for the headlamp and a LED bulb for just over £60. I have fitted one on my A10 and it seems to give a pretty good beam although I have not tried it on the road yet.
I am not sure of the availability of 6v H4 bulbs.

Jim
Last edited by JimFitz on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Could you just fit an H4 reflector? That's what a previous owner has done with my bike.

Malc
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Standard bulb fitment is BPF British Pre Focus. Not sure how easy they'll be getting them in OZ but plenty of on-line sellers available that say they ship there. Long term it'd be easier to fit a replacement 7" H4 car unit I'd say as has been mentioned.
PeterJCorby

Post by PeterJCorby »

Good Morning Folks,

Cheers for all the info. I think I am going to go the route of replacing reflector with a H4 Unit. Seems best option long term as was suggested, and are freely available this side of the world too.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.
les ward

Post by les ward »

Make sure you get one with a hole for the pilot light. Mine came from a scrap VW.
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

hi peter ;
it shouldnt be a problem getting BPF type bulbs in australia , there must be loads of them kicking around .

maybe look at the vintage car parts suppliers for them as they were used in cars also .

if you get stuck i can probably sort you out with a couple of bulbs from here as they are cheap and plentiful , i think i have a spare LED one in the garage i dont use as well .
ian