Electronic Ignition within 18D2

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
BruceB

Electronic Ignition within 18D2

Post by BruceB »

I know this is a contentious and reoccurring subject but since I am back to repairs on the 59 twin I might as well do a few upgrades and works over the winter.
I had originally made a new loom and rewqired the bike completely with simplified wiring as a 12v Negative earth bike with an uprated alternator and electronic voltage regulator, with the wiring to also incorporate an electronic ignition unit within the dizzy with positive and negative supplies in the loom. I could not get the elctornic module to work and eventually disconnected the wiring and connected it back up as points operated. The system works as twin spark and the dizzy contact sparks a twin coil unit under the tank to both plugs every revolution.
I would like to complete the electronic ignition mod to improve sparking and get a contactless ignition system.
What systems would anybody recommend that fits in the original dizzy, needs no more wiring that the + and - supply already installed and works with a twin spark unit as a lost spark system?
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
robcurrie

Re: Electronic Ignition within 18D2

Post by robcurrie »

I am using a Thorspark, although it is fitted in the magneto, they do a version for the distributor available in 12 V neg earth.

Rob C
HDP35

Post by HDP35 »

Hi,
I am using Powerspark Electronic Ignition Kit for Lucas 18D2 Twin Cylinder Negative Earth Distributor and ignition coil Emgo 48-98618 .
Hdp35
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

I will check out your coil resistance, I could not get the powerspark kit to work on my bike although I used them on some of my cars. I eventually gave up on it. If you have yours working I'll check out my emgo coil and see if there are differences that may have affected it (it was checked but you never know)
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000