AJS petrol tank knee grips

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
eric650

AJS petrol tank knee grips

Post by eric650 »

How do I refit the rubber knee grips the tank has a plate screwed to the side but I can't get the rubber flange over is it worth trying putting a washer behind the plate the knee grips are new :headbang:
Mick D

Re: AJS petrol tank knee grips

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Check the relevant parts list to ensure you have all the parts correctly assembled - if so try lubricating the rubber with soft soap - I'd imagine anything 'baby friendly' would be suitable.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Fairy liquid works for me also Mick. Providing of cause you have correct parts. Also the plates fitted correctly undamaged. You can fit the bottom of the rubber OK . But then its difficult getting the top to slip on behind the plate. Staring one end, pull the top of the rubber back a bit. You can then see on the inside of the rubber. Poke the rubber with your other hand just bellow the lip that needs to go behind the plate. THe lip should the rise a bit and go behind the plate. Work from rear then front until its on. Bit like fitting a tyre, Get most of it on then ......... you know what. It goes on or you get impatient and nip the tube with a tyre lever. So be patient with tank rubbers, as with tyres bit at a time.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Like Rob suggests start at rear small end then work round ensure the lip is seating as you so, you could blag a bit of tyre lube off your local tyre depot, don't use washing up liquid it can attack rubber.check you have even gap around the steel plates sometimes they can be closed up on one side.