Carburetion question

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
clanger9

Re: Carburetion question

Post by clanger9 »

Rob is right: classic symptom of a worn slide. A new slide might fix it, but often it doesn't.
However, it's strange that you would have a loose slide on a new Monobloc. This clearance is super-critical and there certainly shouldn't be any "rattle" there.

Ultimate cure is either a new carb or (even better) get Martyn Bratby to re-sleeve it. My Amal "hold up" issue was completely cured by a re-sleeve and the bike ticks over perfectly now.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
ajscomboman

Re: Carburetion question

Post by ajscomboman »

clanger9 wrote:Rob is right: classic symptom of a worn slide. A new slide might fix it, but often it doesn't.
However, it's strange that you would have a loose slide on a new Monobloc. This clearance is super-critical and there certainly shouldn't be any "rattle" there.

Ultimate cure is either a new carb or (even better) get Martyn Bratby to re-sleeve it. My Amal "hold up" issue was completely cured by a re-sleeve and the bike ticks over perfectly now.
All the new carbs (well the ones I've bought) have excessive clearance between slide and body compared to the originals. The latest one for the G80CS has been the worst as the 3thou oversize slide went straight in!