1-5/8 exhaust pipes

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
AJS 500

1-5/8 exhaust pipes

Post by AJS 500 »

Can anyone advise me where I can buy new Downpipes for my 1960 G12 please. I've been restoring the bike for the past 2 years and I'm having trouble locating some. I contacted Feked.com and they don't make them any more. found one shop online who haven't replied to emails and reviews say they are a con. Only other I've come across seems to be armours? Are there others out there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AJS 500

Re: 1-5/8 exhaust pipes

Post by AJS 500 »

Take it no one knows...I have taken the plunge and ordered tubes and silencers from armours. 7-10 days wait for the pipes to be plated....

John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Good luck. From your post I assume you have ordered a left and right downpipe rather than a siamese system?
Also as 1960, I assume it is a twin downtube frame with the later heads with exhaust ports at different angles to the earlier heads?
Is it for an alternator or dynamo model?
There are so many differences in the pipes and I am not really sure whether all the potential variations are now catered for.
I would be interested to know how you get on.
AJS 500

Post by AJS 500 »

Hi John, yes it's tricky finding pipes for all the variables. It's a Dynamo model, yes to all the others. Twin pipes with megas. They are the only company I've found making them, one company that claimed it stocked them did not answer emails and turned out to take people's money and running, luckily I read the reviews. I'm Hoping they will fit ok, if not a tweak with the a hydraulic pipe bender may be needed. Will let you know.

longman

Post by longman »

Hi John, i bought a pair of Feked down pipes a couple of years ago. My bike had Armours pipes fitted by the previous owner that were a terrible fit. He had resorted to filling the mounting brackets where they bolt to the bottom frame rails, but even so the pipes were still under tension. The gap between the alternator housing was almost non existent as well. Its a great shame Feked have decided not to manufacture any more as the fit is much better in my experience. I understand they are made on site, and they use the correct bike to fit and modify and tweek the pipes before selling them to the public. Good luck with the Armours pipes, you have a slight advantage that you have a dynamo machine, but i think it is better to have them un plated in case they need tweeking!
AJS 500

Post by AJS 500 »

Update as promised.
I've received the pipes and fitted the. Admittedly the left side was a tad tight around the rear brake lever and some slight mods to the lever was made, I've ground material off the underside of the lever. Also I made custom front brackets for the down pipes at 42mm in length from 303 stainless hex bar. This has worked a treat after filing out the brackets on the tubes themselves. Didn't take much but a bit there and there made a big difference. Look and sound great. Bends are equal and chrome looks pretty good.

AJS 500

Post by AJS 500 »

AJS 500

Post by AJS 500 »

I added masking tape to the tubes to indicate maximum depth into the head.

AJS 500

Post by AJS 500 »

AJS 500

Post by AJS 500 »

Lower front bracket and homemade bolt.