G12 csr voltage

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Peteg

Re: G12 csr voltage

Post by Peteg »

Hi Bill
As you can maybe tell from my replies electrics are not my strong point but from what you say doesn't look like it's going to take much to sort out.im a long way off as frame is still getting powder coated but I like to get parts ready as I find them
I've added a photo of what's come off
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groily

Post by Groily »

It figures Peteg. Rectifier of the original sort, and the heat sink for a zener diode. Usually mounted in the breeze somewhere near the front.
Must have been at 12v some point, but sounds as if the PO wasn't too bothered about the right bulbs and so on! If the system ever worked, he'd have blown the 6v ones anyway . . . I've seen bikes with rectifiers, zeners, regulators, the lot - with burnt spaghetti wiring where all of the bits have been hooked up some time, and later abandoned, or wrongly matched, or or or . . .

If you don't fancy going it alone on some of the wiring stuff, and want professional advice, I think Colin Farrington is maybe someone to bear in mind. He's on here sometimes, and always listed in the Jampot small ads . . . fabrication of wiring looms etc is his thing and he's probably forgotten more more about all this good stuff in the AJS/M context than most people ever knew. Including what you SHOULD have, if you are doing a resto to 'correct'. Folk like me just do what we feel comfortable with - which isn't the same thing at all and doesn't win prizes!!
Peteg

Post by Peteg »

Hi Bill
Thanks for all the info,I shall be in touch shortly through Brightsparks to get the magneto overhauled.