1srt start since 2002 after a major overhaul.

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
JEAN-NOEL

1srt start since 2002 after a major overhaul.

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello Gents,
Third kick, and without a misfire my fully recondionned engine was runned this morning for 10 minutes, before re torquing the heads when it will be "stone cold". Very good oïl circulation, oïl pressure at idle : 60-70 PSI, (Castrol 20/50) excellent exhaust sound, no smoke. I have to fit, now, the wiring loom, the twin seat, the tank, the clocks. I have so to make a decent battery carrier. I have planned to begin the running in before september the 15th. As I am a poor mecanic, I am proud of this result.
Cheers. J.N.
REW

Re: 1srt start since 2002 after a major overhaul.

Post by REW »

Good stuff J N - always a nervy moment but all seems well!
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Well done, J.N.
There are few things (apart from burbling through leafy lanes) as satisfying as starting a rebuilt engine or curing an oil leak (mostly ;) ).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Thank you Ron and Neville !
This forum was helpfull to do this job. Many thanks at all the members for their help, and good advices.
Next step : wiring loom...I have one from Colin Farrington, but I hate to work on electric sundries !
Since first start, after heads re tightning, I started the engine several times, and no oïl on the floor, at least for the moment...
I hope to post soon some pics.
Cheers. J.N.
clive

Post by clive »

My advice on wiring, check and double check connections as you make them. Fit a fuse holder before you connect to the battery to test everything, have plenty of spare fuses for when they keep blowing. Don't blame Colin but instead find the stray strand of wire that has made a false earth in one of the switches :oops: Works for me
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Colin's loom has been good for me. Always useful to run an additionasl earth wire to the lights.

Johnny B
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Thank you, Clive & John,
I am now waiting for a SS battery carrier made to order, fitted directly on the frame, instead of the poor pear shape toolbox...I found fuse holders for a triffle from FEKED and I have planned to fit one on live, between triphase reg and battery, one between battery and ampmeter, one on the pos earth. Belt and braces !I think there is an elegant solution for earth : there is a threaded hole (1/4*26 tpi) under the headstock to fit the steering damper. (not fitted on my bike). Just a bit of wire to join the headlamp shell.
Kind regards. J.N.