Tanks

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Stan Palmer

Re: Tanks

Post by Stan Palmer »

I did a lot of googling during my Triumph tank problems. Not always a good thing as there is a lot of crap on google, with the occasional gem. Rightly or wrongly I formed the opinion that brazing is not always ok, some types can be attacked by ethanol. I didn't find out which were good and which bad. I did decide that a brazed tank which is proved leak free and then sealed inside should be ok regardless of type of braze. I also found reference to traditional soft solder being susceptible to ethanol, whereas the modern lead-free solder is not. Again I feel that either type properly sealed should be ok.
Based on this I repaired my old T100 tank. After painting it was filled with petrol. After two weeks it was still leak free so was installed. I will never know about longevity as the bike was sold a month later.
It's more than a bit worrying that going to a professional and paying through the nose doesn't seem to be a certain answer.
One other thing: The old tank had bubbled 6 months after painting, coincident with petrol having been in it for a few weeks. There were approx 14 places, which is why I thought it was unusable. When I stripped it off I found only 2 were pin holes, the other were due to the original braze not being cleaned off (mechanically and chemically) and epoxy sealed before filler was applied. The two types of bubble were different in hindsight. The pinhole ones like a small balloon, the others like rust bumps only bigger. The two new pin holes were filled with solder prior to refinishing.
Sta.
spookefoote1956

Re: Tanks

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Silver solder for filling and repairs then line the inside with Slosh, preferably grey.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein