Tanks

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Mick D

Re: Tanks

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Steve's advice has always been 100% accurate in my, (often received), experience :D

Regards Mick
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Well I'm sorry but he's wrong this time (unless you've misunderstood/ misheard etc) From the 1959 spare list: 014997 bolt fixing petrol tank - 4 off all except C and CS. Studs were used on late fifties C and CS tanks though, one clamped the rear bracket to the frame.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Bruce you can access most parts lists etc here:

http://archives.jampot.dk

Cheers Dave.
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

I have the parts books, I just don't think they are clear and accurate. This is why I always call AMC spares and ask when I am unsure, whcih is what I did with my tank when I couldn't match my tank with the book.
I'll have the tank off in the next day or so and see what is what, but it certainly looked like welded studs when I last had it off and replaced all the rubbers.
I'll have a better look this time and see whether they are or not.
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
Steven S

Post by Steven S »

Just to clarify, I didn't say it was 'correct' as the spares list clearly specifies the 014997 bolts for the 1959 twin tank BUT in practice I've found a large amount of 59 twin tanks (roughly 60-70% of the ones I've had) are fitted with fixed studs. Total guesswork but I wonder if they had an issue with the new design splitting on the centre seam due to twin vibration and this was an attempt to cure the problem? Can't see that it would help much.

It might explain why the twins had the revised mounting for 1960 but the singles retained the 1950s threaded bolt arrangement. This obviously didn't work given how many 1960 single tanks seem to split at the rear of the seam and is presumably why they too changed in 1961.

The 1959 stud arrangement does make it more fiddly to remove the tank but then again, it's no different to the 1960 twin mounting because you have to lift the tank clear of the frame mounts with that design too.

Steve
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

Steven S wrote:Just to clarify, I didn't say it was 'correct' as the spares list clearly specifies the 014997 bolts for the 1959 twin tank BUT in practice I've found a large amount of 59 twin tanks (roughly 60-70% of the ones I've had) are fitted with fixed studs.
T be fair I did not claim this either, I just said that only 59 bikes were claimed to have this arrangement.
:roll:
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

I finally got round to removing the tank today and found that three of the mountings were removable studs which with a little bit of force I managed to unscrew. Since bolts could replace these then maybe they have been changed in the past.
The fourth has a stud brazed in larger than the rest and this is where the leak is coming from.
Now I just need to sort out what I am going to do about it and whether I get the bodge removed and a threaded insert welded in in its place.
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

It turns out that someone had bodged in UNF studs into the tank so all the threads had to be replated and retapped. This along with a bodged repair that had to be cut out and redone, then this had to be redone because it still leaked, then removing and derusting the tank of old pertseal, then repainting the whole tank after resealing it with ethanol proof petseal means that the bike has been off the road with no tank since May. I am promised the tank will be back next friday :(
Anyway I need new fuel valves, the ones that were on were a bit ropey. What ones are recommended? The push pull ones I have never found to be fully leak proof but basically if someone has a set of valves that they can recommend as leakproof and reliable I would be grateful.
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
moley

Post by moley »

I can also recommend tank care products, I had petseal which was breaking up in places on a 59 tri t-bird , sent to them they got it out, resealed it internally an repainted tank in charcoal grey for £400.00. stunning job inside and out ! Andy
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

The tanks should be sorted by the end of the week and back with me, I hope, so I don't need any tank materials.
I am looking for good quality petcocks I can use on it when it comes back, what do folk recommend that is ethaniol proof, works well and doesn't leak. And also matches the bike as far as the look of the petcocks?
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000