Front Fork Springs

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin

Re: Front Fork Springs

Post by 1608 »

I found side-car springs on my solo G12 caused the forks to 'top out', ie. clash at the top when fully extended over bumpy ground.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

It's a long time since I "did" the front forks (and jampots) and I fitted the "plastic?" bushes which have been OK for me.

I used the solo springs with a sidecar on the G80S many years ago but it was a chassis with a wooden box for luggage and tools
, ridden one up mostly and I weigh in (still) at 12.5 stone or thereabouts; I did fit the sidecar engine sprocket. It was fine. I think the point about load is really the key issue, there's a world of difference about a sidecar, loaded and the bike two up, and what I was doing.

Please post on how things go, particularly if you use the bronze bushes, as I plan to re-do my front forks over winter!

Johnny B
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

BruceB wrote:Oh, and another related query. I have ordered new top plastic bushes for the forks but I see bronze versions are available even if non original.
Any opinions on using bronze bushes in preference to the original plastic ones?
Given the choice I would go for bronze as I had plastic ones lock up solid, I cant say that bronze would not have done the same in the same conditions but it has put me off the plastic ones.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Duncan wrote:
BruceB wrote:Oh, and another related query. I have ordered new top plastic bushes for the forks but I see bronze versions are available even if non original.
Any opinions on using bronze bushes in preference to the original plastic ones?
Given the choice I would go for bronze as I had plastic ones lock up solid, I cant say that bronze would not have done the same in the same conditions but it has put me off the plastic ones.
Agree Duncan, bronze every time for me.
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

The plastic bush from the club stores have arrived today as I ordered them before I knew you could buy Bronze. I'll probably take a punt and buy the bronze ones and try them, at least if it all goes wrong I have plastic ones to change them out in stock!
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

BruceB wrote:Any opinions on using bronze bushes in preference to the original plastic ones?
Hi

Whilst a bronze bush should last longer than a plastic one is that advantageous or is it just 'over engineering'? My original plastic bushes had functioned for over 30,000 miles and were still running fine. I fitted a new plastic set as a matter of course when I restored the bike and expect them to outlast me.

Regards Mick