G12 footrest heights

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
G12atlast_LAPSED

G12 footrest heights

Post by G12atlast_LAPSED »

Hi all, nice to be here :)

I have a newly acquired G12, 1961, that gives me awful cramp in my right hip. The r/h footrest appears to be higher than the left. I wondered if this was a standard feature, or if I have an incorrect footrest, perhaps. Hopefully you can just see the footrest ends in this image.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

Rob Harknett

Re: G12 footrest heights

Post by Rob Harknett »

Are the footrests correct, undamaged and fitted correctly? Are they both in line or one further forward than the other. Have you taken them both off, to see if they are both identical? They should be.
raffles

Post by raffles »

from what I can see the right hand footrest is bent upwards remove the rubber and this can be rectified on the bike
with the help of a strong piece of tube . once straightened swop the footrests over you will then be able to judge for yourself
as they should be identical.
Tony
clive

Post by clive »

Whilst the right hand rest does look slightly bent I would have thought that it would just feel a bit wrong rather than cause "awful cramp".
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I have a similar problem in similar circumstance, but not on my bike. What i suggest you do is mount your bike in a different way, or even warm up like athletes. If the cramp happens, just stand up and individually tense and relax the muscels and then lower yourself down on the saddle
G12atlast_LAPSED

Thanks guys,

I think the problem is compounded by a very soft saddle and rear shocks. The net effect is to rotate me backwards which leaves my legs straining. The saddle can head to Leighton's, I'd like some advice about shocks though. Mine look great, at least the covers do, but are on max preload and very, very soft. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Simon
sjr

Post by sjr »

Doesn't look too bad to me. Maybe the right footrest has been bent upward a little at some point where the bike has gone for a little lie-down on the right hand side?
They are easily tweaked back with gentle persuasion from a scaffolding pole slid over the footrest, aided by a little warmth from an oxy-gas torch. Take it off the bike first of course.
Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It looks like the footrests are not fitted correctly, as Rob says, are they inline when viewed from above? Take off the fixing nuts and you'll see the footrests have a sort of spline to match the square section footrest rod, they should be fitted in the same orientation right and left.

Regards Mick
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

With regard to the rear suspension units, (dampers):

If they are soft, (compressing too easily), check the spring free length, (involves disassembling the damper), I'm sure someone will be able to tell you the length of a new spring.

If they are not damping, (the ride is bouncy), they have probably leaked - you can do a re-fill bodge but a new set won't break the bank.

Regards Mick
G12atlast_LAPSED

Thanks folks,

Footrests are in line when viewed from above. Had a ride today and noticed that all is fine to begin with, then the seat foam sags and problems begin.

Seat now en route to Leighton's for firm new foam. Shocks are next for examination.

Simon