Various Electrical and headlamp shell questions

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Spock

Re: Various Electrical and headlamp shell questions

Post by Spock »

Terminology was mixed up, I have ordered a 12v uprated stator and suspect the rotor will need changed as it will be too small.
I am actually a member of the club, having joined a few months ago when I bought the bike, however when registering for the forum it would not accept my member details and forced registration as a guest, no doubt when the guest membership expires I be able to sort it out.

Have a few more queries, as numbers and specs seem to be different from my reading of the parts manual.
I ordered a 024171 throttle cable but it seems very short, shorter than the one fitted and this seems a bit short having broken at the bend as it comes out of the twistgrip.
Is this the correct number and what length should the outer sheath be, the original is 36" and the new one 35". I reckon it should be around 37-38"

Also the club part website isn't completely clear on gasket sets, my best guess is 024429 for a full gasket set for a '59 G12, does this sound OK?
TrevorCSR

Post by TrevorCSR »

Well it's been a time and no answers.
I have commented on parts books and numbers before, but I have been shot down by the hierarchy!
AMC cable numbers do not in any way correlate with Spares Scheme numbers! OR should that read Spares Scheme numbers do NOT correlate with parts books numbers.
A while back I wanted to get together a list of cables with dimensions of outer length, inner length, lever type and position of any in line adjusters. It was met with ZILCH.
So basically you order a cable, IF it's wrong you order another one, hoping that will be the correct one!!
How simple if they could give some dimensions.
As for gasket sets.....
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

The part numbers originally used by AMC are no longer recognised by the aftermarket cable makers.
Where possible, the aftermarket no. is cross-referred to the original AMC PART.

If you select a part on the spares website and click on the part number the full (available) info. is shown.

e.g.

T419 CABLE FRONT BRAKE.

Cable Front Brake Use For- 013178;

Price : £11.02 each Other currencies

Price incl. tax : £13.22 Other currencies

Stock : Available

As for gasket sets, these are the original AMC part numbers.

Once again, if you select and click on the part number on the spares website the full info. is given.

024429 Gasket Set

Engine Gasket Set; 1956-59 500/600/650cc

Price : £22.70 each Other currencies

Price incl. tax : £27.24 Other currencies

Stock : Available
Spock

Post by Spock »

I ended up buying a universal cable kit and making one the right length.
I also ordered the gasket set by starting to deal with AMC Classic Spares who were very helpful, including giving me advice on what turned out to be a quickly detachable wheel which had been assembled incorrectly with some incorrect parts.
I also got some advice on the headlamp holes where it turns out that I may have a changeover part where a bush is required to fit the headlamp shell, it seems for a year or two around 58-59 there was a mix and match of two types of bracket.
Bike is getting a new rear tyre fitted tomorrow, the old one was 13 years old, now at least is it going back together and the only real large job is fitting the headlamp shell bolts and rewiring it with a new switch.

Despite what some on this forum say, I too think the parts books and manuals are very poor. I have 5 different classic cars and bikes and had many more of various types in the past and can say without fear of contradiction, from anyone with an open mind on the subject, that the manuals and parts books are the most incomplete, inaccurate and and downright confusing ones for any marque I have ever encountered.

It is what it is and we just have to get on with what we have, however denial and criticising anyone who dares to say this is counterproductive to any constructive discussion.
bob0121

Post by bob0121 »

I'm inclined to agree. Having to do a nut and bolt build up, I have come across a lot of contradictory and incomplete information. Really have had to rely on other peoples knowledge on the marque. It can be very frustrating. It makes a time consuming task that much harder and costly. it can be quite off putting. Especially when you are told wrong or sold the wrong thing and people get very defensive when you try to address the errors. Thanks' go to Steve at AMC for his help and tolerance.

Even now when the end is in sight, I am going to need to post some pictures on here of a couple of parts for ID, because the manuals available do not. Images without description or pt no's without images.

And as far as brake cables go. I fitted one to a G9 recently and had to reduce the length of the inner considerably. I have a new one to fit to the m31 and am expecting to modify this one in some way.

Anyway, another 40-50 hours worth of work and then I would say the testing and corrections begin. Hopefully start putting the miles on in the summer.
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

I eventually welded in two new nuts of the correct size and fitted the correct bolts. I then fitted spacers in the larger holes to stop it moving. This is invisible and seems to work.
Someone had messaged me about owning the bike in the past but I could not reply, can you message me again and I will get in touch, the membership issue I had on the forum seems to have been resolved
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
SOHC

Post by SOHC »

on the 1959 650 I am working on the headlamp shell has a normal Lucas light switch but on the other side there is another hole, what is that for? the bike has a magneto and a alternator, so ignition switch and amp meter are unnecessary
Groily

Post by Groily »

Don't need an ignition switch I agree, unless you wanted to put the engine kill switch there using something that fits the hole, but why not have an ammeter? Just as useful with an alt as a dyn and most machines had them. (I have three alternator bikes with them myself and think they're essential!)
The wiring is dead simple if you are using a regulator/rectifier unit (or even a zener diode) rather than persevering with the ac/dc three wires off the stator thing.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Triuphn-Legend helped me out with this when I was looking at a better front brake cable:

"J & J Cables do have all the correct adjusters for AMC Machines. If you really are not sure about buying from a source unknown to yourself. I'm pretty sure that AMC Classic Spares stocks J & J cables."

The cable I received is good quality, fits and I'm happy.

They were also helpful on the 'phone. I usually make up cables myself (did a clutch cable this afternoon) and careful to use real solde, get things clean, don't overheat the inner it enbrittles it, make sure to spaly out the inner in the rose (nipple) and all good. Those little Dremel type cutting discs are great for getting a clean square end on the outer. Bet that clutch cable fails me now!

My experience spares purchasing, with Jampot Spares (Spares Scheme), AMC Classics and other suppliers has generally been good (Steve at AMC particularly). If something's wrong I've usually had a good response.

I think that part of the problem is being absolutely sure what's already on / been done to the machine by the PO and hence things don't quite fit; it's all part of the challenge.

Johnny B