pushrods

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
peter 1948

pushrods

Post by peter 1948 »

I have just bought a G12 /AJS model 31 engine which is in pieces I need a set of pushrods can somebody tell me if the exhaust and inlet are the same length any help appreciated
robcurrie

Re: pushrods

Post by robcurrie »

The pushrods are all the same length.

Rob C
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

peter 1948 wrote:I have just bought a G12 /AJS model 31 engine which is in pieces I need a set of pushrods can somebody tell me if the exhaust and inlet are the same length any help appreciated
Did you check your parts list ?
You should find just the one part number for your year/model. Then check the pt. no. on Club spares, which I am sure will also give the year and model as well as the pt. no. I do believe club spares re opens on Jan 3rd. which can be discovered here on the forum. I am sure they have push rods in stock. They may be a bit busy after the stock take and Xmas closure, but you could possibly get your push rods by the week end.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

robcurrie wrote:Post details
by robcurrie » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:00 am

The pushrods are all the same length.

Rob C
Not so Rob, for 59 only the pushrods were a different length but can't remember it off the top of my head. As RH has stated the parts service stock 59 only and the 60's onwards type.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I believe the question was, are all the push rods the same length for Ex and In. Which I believe the answer is yes. BUT no for all years as Rob S has stated. As I suggested earlier, check your parts list for the pt. no. for your engine year and model. On club spares the year model is given beside the pt. no. the push rod price is for one off. You would need 4 off of the same pt. no. so must all be the same length. So when ordering, do check you are ordering for the engine you have fitted in the bike. Which may not be the year your bike is dated. This should become clear when you check the pt. no. you require against the club spares list. Note also pt. no's are given for push rods complete, also push rod bare & push rod end. So you get all the bits you need. Sample parts lists below may not be correct for your bike.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.01.02_16h07m18s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Quite right Rob I did fail to mention that both were the same length.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I know nothing about these bikes and you probably know much more than I do but one piece of advice I would give is that if there are different models of them and yours has been taken to bits before you got it, do your best to ensure that what you have is what you're supposed to have. As I understand it, some models can have engine part top bits that can be bolted onto bottom bits but not all bits mix and match.
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

i had some pushrods for my ajs model 30 from club spares but im not entirely sure if they are manufactured to the right spec .

after having them in the engine for one year i removed them last week and found both steel ends were loose on all but one pushrod .

i inspected them and it looks to me like whoever makes them simply loctites the ends on to the alloy rod and they dont seem to be pressed on nor are they that tight a fit , i just pulled the end off by hand .

i dont know if this is normal for the ends to come loose and whether they are ok to run like that but if not i think it needs looking into and whoever makes them needs to sort the issue out ..

were the original pushrods made this way back in the 50s i wonder .

looking at the pushrods i would have thought that the ends would have been pressed on and an interference fit , not glued and pushed on by hand .

all i see that was done to the alloy rod on the new pushrods is that hey had a groove turned into them and then this had loctite or some other form of adhesive applied to it and then the ends have been pushed on lightly ..

on my old pushrods they are still tight and the ends dont move even after all the years of use , so i wonder what is the difference , were the original amc made pushrods assembled in the same way ..

Post by 1608 »

I also had the end come loose on a relatively new push-rod ( club spares supplied) after about one years use. I believe they all come with ends now fitted and ends coming loose seems to be a problem that should be brought to the atention of the spares dpt. I didn't re-use the one I had and wouldn't recommend re-fitting said dodgy push-rod either. The loose end will be hammering away at the alloy part of the push-rod with the obvious consequences.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

It's a good idea to feed this sort of information direct to the parts staff rather than airing it on the members forum (where they might not see it).
Andrew Engineering was the supplier of push rods and a new supplier is looking into taking over manufacture for the club.
This is the type of information needed to ensure that improvements (where necessary) are made.