Fuel tank securing nuts

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
nialdavies1976

Fuel tank securing nuts

Post by nialdavies1976 »

Hi I have a 1961 G12CSR with the red tanknthat has the chrome panels, does anyone know what size thread is on the studs that secure at the front of the tank? my nuts have vibrated off (sorry) and I don't know what to replace them with.

Thanks

Nial
Rob Harknett

Re: Fuel tank securing nuts

Post by Rob Harknett »

You should get correct bolts from club spares. Did you just nip them up so they worked as they should eg not tighten fully so they don't stop vibration? they should be wired on.

Post by 1608 »

Order two extra and use as lock-nuts. I found it far easier than trying to use locking wire.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes they are nuts not bolts and they are'nt wired on. Not sure of the size but they're nylocs, 5/16 or 3/8 cycle thread?
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The fuel tank is threaded 5/16" BSC x 26 TPI and as far as I am aware accepts two bolts which are drilled to enable them to be wire locked together. If you have studs fitted it is fair to assume they are threaded 5/16" BSC x 26 TPI at the fuel tank end, however this is not necessarily the case at the other end, ( a carburettor to head stud is about the correct length but has one end 5/16" BSC x 26 TPI and the other 5/16" BSF x 22 TPI. Without knowing the exact details of the studs fitted it is impossible to help further. Why not return the bike to it's original configuration and install the correct bolts?

(Adding lock nuts will only be effective if the studs are secured into the tank in some way, (Loctite for example).

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick on a 61 tank the two front mountings are not the same as earlier tanks which have a welded threaded plate. For 61 there is a deep recessed socket into which you insert a special rubber and special flanged bolt. The tank is then dropped over the mounting and using a washer and 3/8 BScy nyloc nut, the mounting bolt is pulled down and expands the rubber against the socket wall gripping the tank and holding it it place.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

OK - Sorry if I've caused any confusion, my 61 chrome trim tank is as I described and I thought this was the same across the range :oops:

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick D wrote:Hi

OK - Sorry if I've caused any confusion, my 61 chrome trim tank is as I described and I thought this was the same across the range :oops:

Regards Mick
Not a problem, I suspect that if yours has bolts it's either earlier or modded.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Mick, at the rear of your tank does it have a bracket which extends backwards and is fixed with a bolt into a boss on the frame?
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

As these fittings are not tightened up tight, they need to be wired on. Unless you prefer to keep replacing lost fittings. Good comment about studs and lock nuts, the lock nuts wont hold the studs in.