New Project

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Rangy65

New Project

Post by Rangy65 »

Morning just warming you all up to the potential of lots of questions coming from me relating to my latest project - 1959 Mod 31. Having progressed from Lightweight then Heavy weight single restorations i thought it was about time to get a twin! this bike last changed hands in 1988 and according to the log book has only had 3 previous owners.

Here is a picture of what i am starting with. The barrels are not in the picture but i have them. I also have a spare front brake plate so no problem with that.

From what i have read this machine does not put out as much power as the 1960 onwards models due to them having different cams & cylinderheads. Also there is year specific pistons?

The crank also appears to be a non 'Noddy' as i have tried the 'rings like a bell' test and just get a clank - not very scientific i know.

As i don't intend to race, thrash or cafe racer whats everyone opinion on the longevity of the original crank?

Cheers
IMG_0521.JPG
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robcurrie

Re: New Project

Post by robcurrie »

Wecome to twin territory. Regarding the crank, you could check that if it has been ground, that the big end journals have the correct radius.

Rob C
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Busy winter ahead then Steve :D

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

theirs a lot of non noddy cranks still doing good service. Just treat your new bike with respect and it should be ok
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Thanks for the advice - Hows the new shed going Colin! I bet you've got some good winter projects on the go!!

Cheers
Steve