converting to 12 volt electrics

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
jim griff

converting to 12 volt electrics

Post by jim griff »

This has probably been covered previously but I can't find a link to any 650 twin (alternator model) conversion from 6 to 12 volt. I'd like better lights so have decided to go with a 12 volt conversion. Mine is a 63 CSR so the engine has a magneto for the ignition. Do I need to buy another stator, or can I use the std 3 wire 6V one, but with the high /low outputs combined? Any advice etc on wiring would be beneficial

Thanks
Jim
dave16mct

Re: converting to 12 volt electrics

Post by dave16mct »

I would use the 3 wire alternator you have, especially as you are using a magneto. Combine 2 of the wires from the alternator. Use an A reg one from AO services (£35 posted). Simplify the wiring by disconnecting the wire to the switch from the alternator. Also fit 2 relays on the headlamp which takes power straight from the battery to the bulb (makes a big difference). Fit a Quadroptic lense (about £22 from Vehicle Wiring Services)and fit an H4 55/60W bulb. Use an LED bulb in the rear light and don't forget to get a small 12v horn for under the seat.
Dave.
Spock

Re: converting to 12 volt electrics

Post by Spock »

If you see the post above on electrical and headlamp shell questions I have uploaded a 6-12v conversion diagram, using points but the basics will be the same