mobil 1

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Aprillia750

mobil 1

Post by Aprillia750 »

Is it possible to use mobil 1 in a twin fitted with a cartridge filter?

Regards, John.
Rob Harknett

Re: mobil 1

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mobil 1 offers many multi grades of which I see non that matches the recommended grades for the bike. So I would say no. Use an oil of the correct grade, avoid detergent oil unless your engine has been stripped and cleaned.
Aprillia750

Post by Aprillia750 »

Thanks Rob, I`m using Halfords classic 20/50 at the moment. The engine has only done 2,000 miles since a complete re-build it runs fine and the consumption is minimal. I wanted the engine to have the best oil possible and was just wondering about the Mobil 1 as I have heard great claims for it.
I also asked because Costco are selling Mobil 1 0-40 SAE at a very reasonable price-about £30 as far as I remember.
Think I`ll stick to the classic oil.

Best wishes, John
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Stick with classic oil.

It has the necessary (mildly toxic) additive (ZDDP) to prevent wear of certain parts - most notably the camshaft & followers.
Modern oils (like Mobil 1) don't have this additive, because it damages the catalyst on a modern engine. Instead, engine designers now have to use more exotic hardening/plating of parts to avoid the wear that used to be prevented by ZDDP.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am now using Halfords, saw it some time ago on offer for £9 so I got 3 gallons. Tins were a bit bent, I believe the oil was straight. The old bikes are not too fussy. It is worth checking the super stores for the occasional bargains. Most of my bikes almost change their own oil. They let it out, I put it in.
nialdavies1976

Post by nialdavies1976 »

I've always been told to stick to straight 30 as modern oils are too good for these old engines