E3L Dynamo fit on a 650

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
lostinsdf

E3L Dynamo fit on a 650

Post by lostinsdf »

After installing the dynamo I noticed it does not mesh with the cam gear very well. Is this normal? Is the cork gasket too thick causing this problem? If so, what is the solution/ correct gasket?

Thank you
dynamogear.JPG
dynamo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrevorCSR

Re: E3L Dynamo fit on a 650

Post by TrevorCSR »

Measure the flange (where the cork gasket fits) to the outside face of the drive gear. I will measure the spare I have.
That cork 'gasket' is really not very good. Last week I made a paper gasket and fitted it to a Triumph I worked on. On my own CSR I managed to ft a large 'O' ring. I think I used a Concentric or Monobloc flange 'O' ring. But on the Triumph it leaked through the 3/16 (2BA?) draw stud, so I had to make the paper gasket. In your case I would take special care (extra ThreeBond) in that area when the outer cover is fitted.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Looks like you have the wrong gasket the AMC one fits inside the recess:
http://www.jampot-spares.com/store/come ... duct=21075
lostinsdf

Post by lostinsdf »

The cork gasket is what came with the gasket set I got from Spares. Maybe I put it in there wrong. The gaskets are cheap. I will get the one you reference and see if it's different. If not I may go with TrevorCSR's Paper solution.

Thank you.
lostinsdf

Post by lostinsdf »

I took the Dynamo off, refit the cork gasket into the recess and then put the dynamo back on. I think that will work.

Thanks again everyone.
dynamo2.jpg
Dynamo1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.