Another one back on the road

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
JimFitz

Another one back on the road

Post by JimFitz »

Just got back from the MOT station with a pass certificate in my mitt for my 1960 G12 / Monza outfit.

It has been a long journey to get this one back on the road.

First thing I noticed when I got it home almost two years ago was that both mudguards were rotted out above the bridge pieces so both guards were blasted and primed, new pieces were welded in and filled and sprayed.

The oil tank cover was missing but I managed to get a NOS oil tank cover in black from Les Myers.

The wiring was shot so made up a new loom for the bike and sidecar and fitted a new DVR regulator, battery, headlamp reflector and LEDs all round including the sidecar. I stayed at 6 volts and with everything including headlamp on the drain is only a few amps so can be used for daylight running.

Next job was an oil leak from the head gasket so replaced with a solid copper gasket which seems to have fixed it. I do still have an oil leak possibly from the crankcase centre so I will live with that until the engine needs to come apart.

I suspected that the engine was not breathing correctly and after inspection I found the crankshaft end "flapper valve" breather was gummed up and not operating so this was thoroughly cleaned.

Next job was the front hub. When stripped cleaned and inspected a broken roller was evident, also some Brunelling on the bearing cages so a second hand wheel was sourced which had a good bearing and a reasonably new rim.

New rear shocks were fitted from club spares.

New K70s fitted and a trailer tyre on the sidecar with the rim resprayed.

New chains fitted and a new crankshaft sprocket one tooth smaller than solo with a new gearbox sprocket one tooth smaller. The overall reduction seems about right.

Forks were rebuilt with new stanchions, bushes and sidecar springs and the steering head bearings replaced.

The tank was rubbed down and resprayed with POR15 gloss black aerosol which came up quite good. Gas taps were fitted for fuel cocks together with appropriate adaptor bushes and an in line filter fitted.

A new seat from Leightons was fitted.

A test run round the garden resulted in a snapped speedo cable and the bearing adjuster unwinding so a strip down of the rear hub revealed incorrect assembly, wrong sized spacers and a wrecked speedo gearbox so that was rebuilt with new parts - at least the bearings were OK.

The sidecar was seperately purchased so it was a real ordeal finding fittings - and expensive. The body was removed, chassis stripped, blasted and repainted with POR15 chassis black. The hub was stripped, cleaned and rebuilt and the brake cleaned and rebuilt.

The sidecar mudguard had kissed a few trees in the past so needed a lot of hammer work and filler and spraying. A new set of Wipac lights were fitted front and rear.

It was impossible to find a correctly sized small tyre so a trailer crossply was fitted with a good speed rating. This involved adaptaion of the mudguard mountings as the tyre was about an inch bigger diameter and was fouling.

A new heavy duty 2.5 mm sidecar brake cable was specially made by JJ cables and does not stretch like the old one.

All I have left to do now is spray the sidecar body black and apply the Watsonian decals - I managed to get the last "Monza" transfer on the planet from Watsonian. Then refit the body trim, windscreen and tonneau cover.

Having written all this, I am beginning to ask myself what this resto has cost me but I don't think I will go there and spoil my day. I certainly won't get my money back on this one!

We trailered it to the MOT station so I will be out for a run on it tomorrow as thanks to the on-line DVLA site the bike is now off SORN and taxed.
I wanted to do a final check on the sidecar alignment but according to the MOT tester (an ex-sidecar man), after gunning it round the factory estate where the MOT station is with the sidecar wheel in the air for about 50% of the time, he reckoned the alignment was spot on.

Time to buy another one – winter is coming and the bike lift is empty :D

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
JohnHewes

Re: Another one back on the road

Post by JohnHewes »

Keep your fingers crossed for me, the new old G3 is going on the trailer for its MOT today. I have no documents for it so I have to get it tested then it will need to be registered, it's 1961 so need the MOT first. I'm a bit nervous as I haven't had the chance to try it out on the road, although it all looks good.
John
Expat

Post by Expat »

Fingers duly crossed. Did it pass? :beer:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure, if the bike was insured, you can legally ride it to a garage for an M o T. Which could be risky. You cannot prove you were going to get the bike MoT'd , As, officially you cannot book an M o T. That's what I was told by an M O T man, However you could not take a bike to him demanding an Mot without booking in. I may be fully booked , you would have to wait and see if some one never turned up or not on time.???? Don't make things easy do they.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Rob Harknett wrote:I am sure, if the bike was insured, you can legally ride it to a garage for an M o T. Which could be risky. You cannot prove you were going to get the bike MoT'd , As, officially you cannot book an M o T. That's what I was told by an M O T man, However you could not take a bike to him demanding an Mot without booking in. I may be fully booked , you would have to wait and see if some one never turned up or not on time.???? Don't make things easy do they.
Yes I believe you can, as long as they've got some sort of record that you were planning to turn up (and it's insured).

My local MoT garage doesn't bother with appointments, but they do ask "Has it got a current MoT?". If not, they ask for your registration and scribble it down in the book somewhere. Apparently this is sufficient to allow you to ride legally to the MoT station without an MoT...

There are downsides to this approach. When I got mine MoT'd this year, it was the first time the bike had been on the road for 30 years (and the first time I'd ridden it). Of course it ran like a total pig all the way there and back and it was pretty unpleasant nursing it through the busy Saturday traffic. Oh well, at least it passed!
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
JohnHewes

Post by JohnHewes »

No it didn't!
All OK except the front brake which was 3% short of a pass. So I have had it apart this afternoon and skimmed the shoes on the lathe to the drum diameter and made up some washers to fit under the thrust pins. It's much better so will try again next week.
The reason I have to trailer it is that it isn't registered so I can't take it on the road. No they don't make it easy.
I am hoping the actual registration will be straight forward.
Have a good weekend!
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

JohnHewes wrote:No it didn't!
All OK except the front brake which was 3% short of a pass.
That's a bit jobsworth. Probably bed in after a run and pass.

Trouble is that nowadays some testers who do not understand old bikes tend to stick to the letter of the law to protect their ass rather than use their permitted discretionary powers.

I am not saying that unsafe bikes should be waved through but 3% - come on!

Jim

clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Agreed. That seems mean. It's not as if the test machine is particularly accurate (especially at the low force they use for bikes).

When I got mine done, I asked "Is the back brake OK?" (because I knew it wasn't brilliant) and the the tester said "Well, you've got to allow for the age, haven't you? It'll be fine."
I will definitely be taking it back there next year!
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Expat

Post by Expat »

[quote="JohnHewes"]No it didn't!

What a bummer! As others have said, probably would benefit from some use to bed in.

With two bikes and five cars/vans, I'm so so pleased there is no 'MOT' in Florida :beer:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Well my G12 outfit was back on the road, albeit briefly!

It looked like a nice day this morning so I decided to take it for a road test down to Rye where bikers gather on a Sunday morning on the quayside.

It ran perfectly and the sidecar alignment and gearing was spot on. On the way back it felt so good that I took it up to 70 and it was fine. Then about 3 miles from home it started spluttering and then cut.

I suspected fuel but it was still coming out of the tickler when pressed so I pulled the plugs - both nice and brown.

Checked for a spark and nothing so I guess the condenser has finally given out. It did run rough with only a hint of retard on the lever before it finally packed up.

Now back home courtesy of a recovery truck so it's now mag off to be rebuilt.

That's old bikes for you - should have had it rebuilt while it was on the bench.

Jim