Matchless G12CS - High level exhausts

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
nialdavies1976

Matchless G12CS - High level exhausts

Post by nialdavies1976 »

I'm keen to get a pair of high level exhausts for my G12, does anyone know of any options? I half thought the pipes from a Norton P11 might do the job, anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks

Nial
TrevorCSR

Re: Matchless G12CS - High level exhausts

Post by TrevorCSR »

I have never seen high level pipes on an AMC 650 twin. 'Norton' pipes will not fit without a lot of alteration. They have screw in exhaust ports. (when the 'nut' comes loose, it knackers the head doh!). Never seen the point in that. Triumphs did almost as bad with their 'stub'. When that comes loose the head has to be welded and re-threaded.
Best (as AMC & BSA) is a push in pipe, with a decent bracket half way down between head and lower run of pipe. That happens to be just around the front engine mount. Lower run is held securely by the silencer. Exhaust paste (Fire Gum - the stuff that sets) where the pipe fits inside the head. That will never move, never wear the head.
Of course you could make a set of high level pipes yourself. You can buy sections of tubing pre-bent to different radii. Just weld them together and then get them chromed. Or buy stainless sections and just polish the welds.