Tyres

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
ajscomboman

Re: Tyres

Post by ajscomboman »

BRobbo wrote:"63 was the last year the CSR used 19" wheels with AMC full width hubs"

Hi Rob

Is it true that the QD hub was only an option on the 63 CSR with 19" wheels?

Not going to WKR then?

Barry
The QD hub won't fit the 63 swinging arm without considerable re-working of the components due to the swinging arm being narrower than the earlier models and was never offered as an option. It makes removing the wheels a complete bugger and why the factory thought that it was a good idea is beyond me! I know your bike has been converted to QD by Malcom Arnold and he said it was a lot of work. The other option is to fit the earlier swinging arm and clevis shock absorbers which takes away the original look.
BRobbo

Post by BRobbo »

That explains it Rob, MA did say the QD hub fitted didn't QD! there's just not enough room to wiggle it out when the speedo box and the spacer is removed.

I had a close look at the QD hub because there was a little bit of slack developing in the driving pin sockets, the pins are metal, Donut reckons that it's the earlier type of QD hub fitted prior to 1957.

I'm not bothered about it but I might look round for a correct non QD hub when I'm ready to have the rims rechromed ;)
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

metal pins do indicate the earlier hub.