Alternator wiring help please

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
AGoodfellow

Alternator wiring help please

Post by AGoodfellow »

Hoping someone can help me please.

I have bought a new RM21 Stator and a A Reg One Regulator from Paul Goff

But I'm a little confused as to the wiring. I have the two switch system on my headlight (ignition switch and lighting switch)

The old wires to the rectifier from the stator were GB & GW. And from the stator GB to the lighting switch and NP to the Ignition switch.
Then there was also GY from the stator straight to the Ignition switch (emergency ign(without battery I guess))

Can anyone advise as to how to wire this up please.

Many thanks
Andrew
Groily

Re: Alternator wiring help please

Post by Groily »

Same comment applies as in A Reg 6 thread Andrew, also live at the moment:
Quote: "A bit of the existing wiring becomes superfluous with the fitting of an A Reg unit. The wiring is made simpler, but some wires become redundant (or can be removed). The little diagram from Goff's site is a good guide as to what goes where, and is all you need. See http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/WiringDiagBasicAlt.htm"

Your new stator is a 2 wire one so one to each ac side of the new box, earth to earth (your choice of + or -) and the live rectified feed to switch/ammeter/battery. 'As you were' from switch to lights etc, but no need for wire going back and forth from switch to alternator or to rectifier-that-was any more.
You might end up with bits of wire still in place but not connected, or you can sling 'em out quite happily. The result is much simpler, and for me anyway, has always been pretty well bulletproof once done.

With the RM21 equivalent, it may be wise to think about the wattage of the headlight . . . although the thing is rated at 120 Watts I think, that's at high speed. At modest revs, there's rather less, and the drain of the coil plus a powerful lamp (plus need to top up battery) can be a bit tight. The ammeter will show you! FWIW when doing this particular conversion on coil ignition bikes, I've usually stuck with 35W halogen up front (or gone LED - which is another saga in itself sometimes).
AGoodfellow

Post by AGoodfellow »

Thank you so much, that explains very well. Ace!!

I have a LED in the stop tail now, but will look at the headlight bulb again as i cant remember what i bought. Can you get LED headlight bulbs?

guess what i'm away to do this afternoon..

Cheers again
Andrew
Groily

Post by Groily »

Headlight 'bulbs' can be got - there are a few comments on here somewhere. I have had three just to see what they are like, and not all that plizzed to be honest, as although the light is white and bright, it doesn't point where you want it necessarily, especially main beam. All to do with positioniong of the diodes I believe, and allegedly solved a while back - but not on my ones. One bike was unrideable in the dark . . . but for the other 2 they make for better daytime visibility on dynamo bikes, at least.
There are various suppliers, I got mine from Dynamo Regulator Conversions (not to be confused with the Dyn Reg co that makes the quite excellent DVR2 regulators). Expensive, and frankly not a patch on my favourite illuminations, which come via Cibié concave lenses that were popular a long time ago and really are, imho, the best thing - I've got 2 of them on twins and wouldn't part with them.
But you don't need to go that way with an alternator - plenty of poke for a reasonable halogen light, if not enough for a 60/55W laser beam in town riding.
When needing power - for a fast beast with Boyer Bransden power-sucking elec ign + 60W headlight, I went for the beefier 200W stator + Podtronics reg/rectifier, and that did the job very well.