Ignition Coil

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bob

Ignition Coil

Post by bob »

Hi all

I have a 1960 M31 DL Alternator & coil ignition . With a Boyer Brandon booster fitted .

My coil has failed on me again , That's the third in the last 10 years , without that much mileage done .
Its not so much the cost of a new coil , its more the uncertainty of the bike failing me miles from home .
I don't remember ever having to replace a coil in my yoof .

Electrics beat me .

Is it likely to just be the quality of coils available .( or I have bought )
The mounting location ( its behind the cover between the oil tank & battery box ) so not in a cooling airflow .
Can the Boyer Brandon shorten coil life .

I was looking at the transistorised sort , as fitted to early Japanese bikes , but as I said electrics beat me and I don't know if one of these would actually work .

Any thoughts please , before I just go out an get another oil filled coil .
Thanks
Bob
Groily

Re: Ignition Coil

Post by Groily »

Not familiar with the 'booster' you mention Bob, but the Boyer systems I've seen have tended to run (at 12v) with 2 6v coils in series delivering a dead spark on the non-firing cylinder. Don't know whether that is relevant in the absence of knowing exactly what you have. But it's also true that some electronic systems require different, more modern, sorts of coil - typical older designs have, I believe, a habit of dying - and I seem to recall a recent thread here on this very topic, although I'm darned if I can find it.
bob

Re: Ignition Coil

Post by bob »

Sorry I should have been more descriptive on the Boyer Bransden unit .

It's described as a " Inductive discharge electronic ignition unit " and on the wiring diagram supplied with it . it shows an ordinary can style ignition coil .
It also still uses the points .
The Boyer Bransden has been on the bike for the last 10 years or so .
Thanks
bob