Petrol Tank id

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
lostinsdf

Petrol Tank id

Post by lostinsdf »

Hello everyone.

My bike came in a number of boxes and the going has been slow. But I soldier on. The latest issue is the petrol tank that came with the bike. The bike itself is a 1960 CSR.

This tank fits on the frame but how does it mount at the rear? Rubber band? What part(s) am I missing?
If this tank is not for a G12 then what is it? What badges, knee pads etc would go on this tank? Part numbers?
IMG_3094.JPG
IMG_3091.JPG
Are there so supposed to be rubber mounts here? If so which ones?
IMG_3097.JPG
Thank you for any and all help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lostinsdf

Re: Petrol Tank id

Post by lostinsdf »

Here are more images of the tank.
IMG_3096.JPG
IMG_3095.JPG
IMG_3093.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Your tank is from an AJS/Matchless. From the distance between the screw holes for the tank badges it has the large chromed diecast "knee knocker" tank badges. It would be from circa 1963/64. I am not sure on the knee rubbers from that era and it could have none or possibly a stick on set... others can comment on that point.

It fixes to the frame with a rubber band going over the two buttons at the rear of the tank and under the top tube of the frame.

The tubular bracket in the top tube of the frame is not used on the twins. The frame was also used for the singles and this bracket was the mounting point for the head steady.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If it's of interest there are a couple of posters with colour pictures of the U.S. market 1960 G12CSR if you browse 'Model range' and 'Sales brochures' here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/

(I know nothing about twins, but those that do have said that the official AMC publicity material for all years and models (singles and twins) did not necessarily portray the machines with 100% accuracy).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
hwilkinson

Post by hwilkinson »

I believe the 60 CSR had a rear fixing of a U shaped clip 026626 and 2 studs screwed into a bracket welded to the tank. See attached photo. In 61 they used the rubber band with 2 hooks made from a loops of steel wire welded to the back of the tank. Then in 62 they changed to the buttons like on your tank.

Harry
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Looks like the tank that should be on my 64 G12 CSR with fittings for knee knocker badges. My bike came with the tank all very nicely re-chromed and painted Zig zag lines etc. But incorrect screw centres for the badges.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

This tank is for a G12 ( for CSR they were chrome plated) 1963-1964 with large cast alloy badges.
For road heavyweight singles the tank look alike, except the bottom part : the recesses are different for twins and singles.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Sorry, in my previous post I made a mistake : for 63-64 all STD heavyweigth bike had the same tank.
You can see the knee grips on AMOC PARTS SERVICE website : 042889/90 = knee grip - pair 1963-on. According years, bikes, and market these sticked pads were often omitted.
Front fitting : tank fixing bolt + nut = 021175 (2)
Tank fixing rubber front : 021174 (2)
Rear rubber between the frame and the tank 027138 (1)
Tank fixing trap :021137 (1) (it look alike an "0" ring)
lostinsdf

Post by lostinsdf »

Thank you for the info on the tank. It is out for some repair and paint. If anyone has the badges for it and would like to sell them let me know.
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

Hi Ian,

The badges are available from a US seller on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351514401481? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Not cheap but they do look good on the bike.