Broken Stud...Grrrr

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
AGoodfellow

Re: Broken Stud...Grrrr

Post by AGoodfellow »

thanks rob,
I should of explained. I hadn't refreshed my screen before i wrote my last message.
But many thanks for your help also. Stud made drilled out and the new one is in. All built up now just sorting a broken wire in the alternator now.

Cheers for now...

Andrew
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I'll pass on alternator bikes, I've 3 lightweights giving problem's I shut the shed up on a few years ago, Now my 64 CSR is blowing bulbs. My old prewar bikes just kept going 30 odd years with nothing more than service and punctures needing attention. I would like one of my 3 light weights to run around on as the bigger bikes feel twice as heavy now. But can't be bothered to get them sorted.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Hi Rob,

A bit off topic, but I agree the 6v alternator setup can be fragile: the alternator has loads of output (compared to a dynamo), so as soon as anything goes wrong it'll blow the bulbs and boil the battery.

However, I think alternator electrics can be sorted fairly easily (if you don't need to be 100% original). I've changed my Lightweight to 12v with a solid-state 3-phase rectifier-regulator. The alternator is standard, you just connect the 3 wires to the regulator and hey presto: 12v! The wiring is much, much simpler with this arrangement (i.e. no ballast resistors or emergency circuit) and it seems to work perfectly. Combine that setup with a LED headlight, and it feels so much safer in modern traffic...

1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS