Throttle Cable

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
AGoodfellow

Throttle Cable

Post by AGoodfellow »

Hi a quick bit of help please.

What throttle cable do i need to replace the one on my 1962 G12?
Just had a wee look on the parts and they don't list them by the bike model, so i'm a wee bitty unsure what to order.

Many thanks

Andrew

Re: Throttle Cable

Post by 1608 »

They are all the same. A standard throtle cable for a monobloc carb.
TrevorCSR

Post by TrevorCSR »

Depends on a few factors. Twist grip and handlebars just two. I've found that with standard flat handlebars, the outer cable length needs to be around 33". With an Amal Monobloc, there needs to be 3" 'slack' on the inner cable i.e. the inner is 3" longer than the outer. (Pull inner through until one nipple is against outer, measure from other end of outer to start of nipple). Small barrel nipple top end, tubular nipple in carb slide. Inline adjuster around 6" from the throttle twist grip. Carb top will NOT have an adjuster as it's too near the top frame tube. So it will have the bigger ferrule (6/132A) to fit carb top. All this is presuming standard twist grip. They are readily available. I have a part number that I'm not 100% sure is correct - 026745. Which does NOT equate to anything in the club spares scheme with their very vague T??? numbers!
I am trying to compile a comprehensive list of cable dimensions for my 1960 31CSR. If anyone has more info. I'd be grateful if they would share it. Very helpful if you want to (or have to!) make your own cables.
AGoodfellow

Post by AGoodfellow »

Many thanks for the information just ordered one up.