Tank Badge castings

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
owen

Tank Badge castings

Post by owen »

A bit of advice please, I have a 1964 G12 CSR with the large cast tank badges. They are in reasonable order but the chrome is not that good and pitted on one side, Are they rechromable,Has any one tried.
Many Thanks Owen
cbranni

Re: Tank Badge castings

Post by cbranni »

Hi Owen, I had a pair re-chromed by Ashford chrome plating five years ago, it wasn't cheap and be prepared to wait twice as long as they quote, it will today be over £200 I suppose, be sure to tell them it's a Mazak casting just for safety sake.
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

I had a pair of Matchless Knee-Knocker badges re-chromed last year along with a kickstart, rear mudguard and some other minor bits and pieces. Total cost came in at around £350.

I used Vehicle and General in Arlesey, Beds. I think they quoted 6 weeks but took 7, so not too far from their estimate. I was really impressed with the quality of their work. They did say that Mazak was difficult to work with and corrosion in some of the corners may be difficult to polish out. The badges are really good and have been fitted to my G15/45

This is the liink to the Vehicle and General website.

http://www.vehicleandgeneralelectroplaters.co.uk/
owen

Post by owen »

Many thanks for the info, I guess this bit will have to go on after burner, my rebuild is near to a end, But expense is at its peak.
I wonder if you can still buy chrome tape. :)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've never used it but there are quite a few suppliers of 'Chrome paint' (Google it) for metal items. A pal has used it and says the finish is generally good but durability may be suspect.
Probably wouldn't last too long when being rubbed by knees if you have long legs.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'