Thrust Washers for the \Twin Cranks.

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bruv

Thrust Washers for the \Twin Cranks.

Post by bruv »

THRUST WASHERS for the Twin Cranks.
Can anybody out there please help ! I'm being forced to make up a complete set of thrust washers for my twin crank because of the complete unavailability of the original items. To make matters worse, I'm going to have to make them considerably oversize in width to take up the tremendous amount of "End Float" on the crank (about 0.015''). I suspect that the end float was caused by a previous main bearing re-grind that went wrong and shaved a bit off the cheek of the flywheel face. The crank will be scrap if I can't fix the problem. My question is simple :- Does anybody know the material that was used in the making of these thrust washers ?? I heard somewhere that they were made from mehanite cast steel, with a white metal facing, but I need to confirm this before going any further. Has anybody out there used Phosphor-bronze, or any other metal for there washers ?? It would appear that the term "thrust washer" is a little confusing when looking at this component in the crank of the AMC twins. It's not like a car engine crank where the "pushing" forces of an in-line clutch are being placed upon it. Any help with the make-up of these washers would be most welcome. Thanks for reading. Safe riding to all. Kind regards, Bruv.
dave16mct

Re: Thrust Washers for the \Twin Cranks.

Post by dave16mct »

Do a search as this has been discussed many times. A member made some from Rover V8 thrust washers. They had to be thinned down to fit, so may be OK for you.
Dave.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hi gents,
amazing to know that our twins centre bearing are as big as Rover V8 ones !
Sourcing new std thrust washers dont solve crank float problem on a used crankshaft.
Why not get re babitted thrust washers to suit the actual width size of your old crank ?
I think that this way is better than a crank metal sprayed et std thrust washers, as rare as hen teeth.
Cheers
bitza

Post by bitza »

Just found a website, bearbones racing who stock Rover v8 thrust washers in various thickness
Cost is around £6. 00 , might be worth a go, 0800. 8405 303, web address,
Sales@bearbonesracing.com. They have a online shop so you can view product, hope this helps.
TrevorCSR

Post by TrevorCSR »

I don't know what V8 Rover engine you are talking about, but from my search on Google, they only use one half. And that does NOT have the tab to stop rotation. Usually the main bearing cap holds the one washer in place. So I really cannot see how these will be of any use in an AMC twin engine.
Someone has said 'I filed a set of V8 Rover ones to fit'. Could that person give us some detailed info. Like what year Rover engine? What is the outer diameter of the washers? Inner diameter? Do they have tags? Which part did you file? The back? Front? Inner diameter? Outer diameter?
AND a simple search in Google reveals that the main bearings of a Rover V8 are 2.299" So the inner diameter of the washer HAS to be at least that, 2 5/16" approx. AMC twin engine centre main is 1 5/8" (1.62675") standard. I've just measured an AMC washer and the outer diameter is 2.275" approx. THAT'S SMALLER than the Rover V8 main bearing journal.
bitza

Post by bitza »

I appologize if the info I posted is wrong, I was reading the post regards rover v8 thrust bearings, and was trying to steer the member to
Where he could get hold of some.

Post by 242017 »

You would have thought that if the club goes to all that trouble to make new crankshafts for the twins....That they might at least put some effort into getting new bearings made for them...
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

We have put a lot of effort into it and they should be here in the next 4 - 6 weeks.

Post by 242017 »

Might have been a good idea to mention the fact to some of the members on here who are in dire need of them....who do not have a crystal ball