New to AJS and classic bikes, any advice appreciated.

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Gibbo

New to AJS and classic bikes, any advice appreciated.

Post by Gibbo »

Hello,
I've recently bought a tidy AJS 31 which runs well. I've have changed all oils and cleaned the filters, but am unsure about a " sludge trap".
Does my bike have this? If so, any advice on how to go about cleaning it would be greatly appreciated, also any other tips or pearls of wisdom about owning and maintaining a 31 would be marvellous.

Kind regards

Andy Gibbon
Rob Harknett

Re: New to AJS and classic bikes, any advice appreciated.

Post by Rob Harknett »

Instruction book, workshop manual & parts lists. I assume you got those first of all, so have used the correct oil. If the engine has been using correct oil and you have now used detergent oil, you may find a lot of sludge being loosened and blocking oil ways. the workshop manual will answer and show you the way, as to sludge tap etc. Which you should has sorted out before putting new oil in.

Every new bike was supplied with an Instruction book. This vital part is usually missing when you buy a S/H bike.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Andy

The sludge trap consists of two screw plugged drillings on either side of the crankshaft so it would be a full engine strip if you feel the need to investigate.
clive

Post by clive »

Duncan wrote:Andy

The sludge trap consists of two screw plugged drillings on either side of the crankshaft so it would be a full engine strip if you feel the need to investigate.
Wait until you need to split the crankcases, Duncan is playing Devil's advocate. If you feel the need to investigate you may as well take the bike off the road while you check every thing. Ride, enjoy and fix the faults as they appear!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

Thanks Duncan and Clive.
My approach is definitely ride it and fix things if they need fixing. In fact I went out for what turned out being a 100+ miles last weekend on a first proper run (tool bag tied to the seat!) and except for a little bit of oil leaking from the primary chain case she ran sweet as a nut.
Cheers
Andy
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

Thanks Rob,
I've got the instruction book and parts list. Could you advise where I could get the workshop manual?
I have used the correct oils, so should be ok.
Cheers
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Andy.
It's a real treat to read of a new owner who can tell us how well the bike is running, rather than a list of woes !! :beer:

The workshop manual can be found here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/

plus masses of historical and technical info and articles about AMC on that site's Home page here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Welcome, Andy.
It's a real treat to read of a new owner who can tell us how well the bike is running, rather than a list of woes !! :beer:

The workshop manual can be found here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/

plus masses of historical and technical info and articles about AMC on that site's Home page here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/

Thanks for the links. More things to read :ugeek:
Going to be doing much more riding than reading though, so might never get to all of them :P

Andy